Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire carrier bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 IL6
Default Tire carrier bumper

hey all. I’m looking into getting to tire carrier bumper for the jeep. The cheapest one I’ve found is the smittybuilt xrc which is $750. That’s pretty sad. Was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper one and/or if anyone on this forum builds them? Thanks in advance.
Ps. I hate starting new threads with old material but I couldn’t find much on this already. Maybe I’m not looking in the right spot.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 96whitecherokeeguy
hey all. I’m looking into getting to tire carrier bumper for the jeep. The cheapest one I’ve found is the smittybuilt xrc which is $750. That’s pretty sad. Was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper one and/or if anyone on this forum builds them? Thanks in advance.
Ps. I hate starting new threads with old material but I couldn’t find much on this already. Maybe I’m not looking in the right spot.
You wont find a new tire carrier for less than the SB one.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Photojared
You wont find a new tire carrier for less than the SB one.
yeah unfortunately that’s what I’m realizing, thanks.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Most big name brands start at a grand to 1500.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Most big name brands start at a grand to 1500.
yeah that seems wayyyy overpriced to me. Also I’ve noticed bumpers for wrangles are quite a bit cheaper and they’re pretty much the same thing which tells me they probably mark the Cherokee ones up just cause they can. Oh well.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

yeah that seems wayyyy overpriced to me. Also I’ve noticed bumpers for wrangles are quite a bit cheaper and they’re pretty much the same thing which tells me they probably mark the Cherokee ones up just cause they can. Oh well.
they arent overpriced if most are priced in the same range..as far as the wrangler bumpers, most are stubby type, with like half the material of most full xj bumpers. Thats why they are cheaper. If they were full bumpers they would be around the same price if not more....look at bumpers for trucks. Theyvare 1500 to 2500. Bumpers arent cheap lol
Old 05-05-2018, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You're discounting the fact the "Wrangles":
1. have an actual frame
2. lots higher sales volume ie. economy of scale...
Old 05-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
they arent overpriced if most are priced in the same range..as far as the wrangler bumpers, most are stubby type, with like half the material of most full xj bumpers. Thats why they are cheaper. If they were full bumpers they would be around the same price if not more....look at bumpers for trucks. Theyvare 1500 to 2500. Bumpers arent cheap lol
I was mostly referring to how a non tire carrier bumper sits in like the $350 dollar range (low end) and yet it’s an extra $400 at least to add a hinge and carrier. Just seems a little expensive for what it is is all.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
1. have an actual frame
right, the frame does make a difference. I just think no matter the difficulty to make or how much it costs to make, the xj bumpes will be marked up more than the wrangler ones because, compared to wranglers, there aren’t that many people that run a spare tire on the bumper. I think company’s know that and take advantage a little. Just what it seems like to me. I’m no expert.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
1. have an actual frame
I’m sure economy of scale thing makes a big difference too. I guess what I’m getting at is if you get down to the cost in material and labor for both, I bet they’re pretty similar and yet the prices don’t reflect that. But I don’t know that for a fact. Anyway that’s enough ranting about it.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

Quality bumpers are worth the cost, and “quality” is much more than appearance. Consider the Rockhard 4x4 tire carrier bumper. Extremely well designed and made, and the price is reasonable for the quality.

Last edited by ElMartillo; 05-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.3

I was mostly referring to how a non tire carrier bumper sits in like the $350 dollar range (low end) and yet it’s an extra $400 at least to add a hinge and carrier. Just seems a little expensive for what it is is all.
Building a bumper with a tire carrier for a unibody vehicle requires quite a bit of extra work with several reinforcement parts. $400 isn't out of line for all of that.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

As a fabricator by trade, it’s not as simple to build as it may seem. No disrespect intended here, but try to build one yourself. You’ll either turn into a fabricator or you’ll balk at the scope of the project. Either way you’ll gain an appreciation for the skill and cost of equipment required.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
As a fabricator by trade, it’s not as simple to build as it may seem. No disrespect intended here, but try to build one yourself. You’ll either turn into a fabricator or you’ll balk at the scope of the project. Either way you’ll gain an appreciation for the skill and cost of equipment required.
oh I have no doubt it’s very difficult, I considered building one, did quite a bit of research and designing, but I don’t own a welder or the means to cut that size steel. It would be basically me telling a welder friend that works in metal fab what I need and it’s not with the effort plus I would have to text fit a million times meaning my jeep would have to be there. Not worth it. That’s why I’m going to buy one, but yeah I’m just kind of surprised by the price is all.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Building a bumper with a tire carrier for a unibody vehicle requires quite a bit of extra work with several reinforcement parts. $400 isn't out of line for all of that.
I’m saying $400 just for the carrier part, not the bumper. Total is $750. I’d be all over a tier carrier bumper combo for $400

Quick Reply: Tire carrier bumper