Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Tie rod help

Ok I know there's a million threads on tie rods and many choices but I need some input
Last night I hit two deer with my Xj one of them snapped my tie rod in two I had the rock Krawler HD rod on there which I like it took a beating and used factory ends. but looking to try something different. So tell me what ya got how much it was and if it uses factory ends or not im open to both just want something stronger than the factory one
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

We have our full over the knuckle steering kit for 325. Comes with 1-1/4" SOLID hex stock equipped with 7/8" chromoly heim joints using a 5/8" grade a bolt. A deer won't destroy this steering.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Kris Froehlich
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
We have our full over the knuckle steering kit for 325. Comes with 1-1/4" SOLID hex stock equipped with 7/8" chromoly heim joints using a 5/8" grade a bolt. A deer won't destroy this steering.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Kris Froehlich
That sounds awesome kris. Would I have to ream the knuckles? I don't know much about OTK steering
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

You would need to drill the knuckles and pitman to 5/8". The knuckles can be done carefully with a hand drill while still on the axle. I would suggest removing the pitman arm so that you can drill that from the top as well (smaller side of the taper) so that the drill bit doesn't rub on the inside of the taper and burn up.

Note that like with any crossover steering, you will need to remove and or relocate your axle side away bar mounts if you wish to run a sway bar.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Track bar with crossover steering?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Are you asking If I recommend an upgraded track bar? Yes, to get full benefit of our OTK Crossover steering then an Over The Axle Track Bar Kit is recommended. This will allow you to run your track bar and draglink as flat as possible to eliminate bump steer and allow fuller turning radius throughout travel.

Last edited by Lead Foot; 05-16-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho

Are you asking If I recommend an upgraded track bar? Yes, to get full benefit of our OTK Crossover steering then an Over The Axle Track Bar Kit is recommended. This will allow you to run your track bar and draglink as flat as possible to eliminate bump steer and allow fuller turning radius throughout travel.
Gonna keep that kit in mind.

Getting my long arms than gonna start looking into steering I was gonna go with the zj tierod but that seems like a decent deal in the kit. What all is included?
Thanks
Joe
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by woodtket
Ok I know there's a million threads on tie rods and many choices but I need some input
Last night I hit two deer with my Xj one of them snapped my tie rod in two I had the rock Krawler HD rod on there which I like it took a beating and used factory ends. but looking to try something different. So tell me what ya got how much it was and if it uses factory ends or not im open to both just want something stronger than the factory one
I run the Crown V8 Grand Cherokee HD steering. It's like $208 shipped with a new steering stabilizer. It's not as beefy or as nice as Chris's, but it's way cheaper and still a nice upgrade over stock.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by vandelden21
Gonna keep that kit in mind.

Getting my long arms than gonna start looking into steering I was gonna go with the zj tierod but that seems like a decent deal in the kit. What all is included?
Thanks
Joe

Battle Grounds huh? Do you know Jesse Wells? He's a repeat customer of ours.

The steering comes with the solid tie rod, drag link, 7/8" heim joints, high misalignment spacers, and all needed hardware. No steering stabilizer is needed as the joints are tight and the steering stabilizer is just a band aid.

The Track bar comes with the 1-1/4" SOLID hex track bar link, 2" johnny Joints, 1/4" cnc laser and formed double sheer bolt on frame mount and weld on axle mount, and of course all needed hardware.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM

The steering comes with the solid tie rod, drag link, 7/8" heim joints, high misalignment spacers, and all needed hardware. No steering stabilizer is needed as the joints are tight and the steering stabilizer is just a band aid.

The Track bar comes with the 1-1/4" SOLID hex track bar link, 2" johnny Joints, 1/4" cnc laser and formed double sheer bolt on frame mount and weld on axle mount, and of course all needed hardware.
That sounds pretty solid to me. One question would I need to run the track bar also or could I get away with running the regular Trac bar with a drop down bracket? My Xj is my DD so down time is bad time for me since I have no other vehicle. I'm sold on your steering when I have the money for now I'm gunna run the stock stuff to get back and forth to work
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Yes, you can run our steering with the tie rod under the knuckle and the draglink over the knuckle. Your drop bracket should position your track bar flat enough to match the drag link angle.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Sure do. Is he running this set up? Sounds like a good deal didn't realize it came with a trackbar.

Might be a stupid question but is the track bar adjustable?

Ill ask him to see if hes running your steering and will check his out
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like hes still running it ill check it out one ofvthese days... small world lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

The track bar is sold as a separate setup. But we do recommend that you install both to take advantage of the best performance available. Jesse is running an older version of our steering and track bar. 3/4" heims instead of the 7/8" heims we are now running on the steering. Track bar is now offered with Johnny joints instead of heims as well.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

The track bar is sold as a separate setup. But we do recommend that you install both to take advantage of the best performance available. Jesse is running an older version of our steering and track bar. 3/4" heims instead of the 7/8" heims we are now running on the steering. Track bar is now offered with Johnny joints instead of heims as well.
How much for steering setup and track bar?

Quick Reply: Tie rod help