Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those With LunchBox Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default For Those With LunchBox Lockers

I have an aussie locker in my rear 8.25 and i dont know if it is installed correctly. i recently got an alignment because it was pulling to the right, now the jeep drives straight while coasting but if any gas is applied is starts going right, feels like the left rear has more power than the right rear. so it is pushing it to the right upon accceleration. i have to use force to turn the steering wheel left to keep it going straight. It gets worse the faster i go. But if i drive around in full time 4x4 it drives straighter because the front is pulling some i believe. maybe there is not enough backlash or too much backlash i dont know. and i heard something about using shims to adjust the locker. Have any of yall had this problem?

Ive asked this question alot and nobody can answer it.

Last edited by Metlic53; 01-10-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

first off, DON'T drive in full time 4x4 on dry pavement...especially with a rear locker. you're asking for a blown transfercase.

second. I'd check your rear springs first. more likely that those are the cause of the issue. one softer spring will cause a lean when the rear ends are locked, given that your shafts are binding side to side.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

No steering issues on our '98 XJ........locked rear.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
first off, DON'T drive in full time 4x4 on dry pavement...especially with a rear locker. you're asking for a blown transfercase.

second. I'd check your rear springs first. more likely that those are the cause of the issue. one softer spring will cause a lean when the rear ends are locked, given that your shafts are binding side to side.
umm, i have a np242 t-case. i can drive in full time whenever i want, it feels exactly like 2wd, i can put the tires at full lock and go in circles as if it is in 2wd. I've read dozens of threads on here that Full time is for whenever i want, dry pavement or not. its part time that i cant drive in, because it is fully locked with the rear. Part time turning on the pavement is a different story, i simply cant do it without hopping the tires. The only two that are allowed for pavement is 2wd and full time 4x4. You must think i have a 231.
I guess i'm gonna have to get the rear end checked out, the leaf springs aren't a year old
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
No steering issues on our '98 XJ........locked rear.
Which locker do you have?
When i went to install the locker my dad took out the whole carrier and i came back out and was like whoa!! so i had to go to a shop and get it put to spec, then found out the guy that did it thought the locker was the backlash cuz it can move back and forth and i had 0 backlash, took it back and he said it has correct backlash now and it still pushing the jeep to the right upon acceleration at any speed. I really don't want to take it to 4 wheel parts!!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

i dont see what the gear mesh or "back lash" would have to do with which way it turns, also a locker is "locked" when you go strait down the road, it "unlocks" allowing it to "ratchet" when you turn a corner so unless its constantly ratcheting when your driving i doubt its the locker, and slack in the r&p isnt going to make it turn one way or the other because once you hit the gas the teeth are going to be pushing on each other no matter how bad the gear mesh is

a dumb thought but have you checked the air pressure in your tires?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Metlic53 I have Aussie lockers in the front D30 and rear D44 of my XJ. I have the same exact problem you described everytime there is a difference in rear tire pressure between the left and right side. I mean even 1-2 psi difference. That in effect makes your tires two different sizes. Check the pressure of your rear tires. I bet you find a mismatch. Since a mismatch in tire speed side to side is what causes your Aussie to lock and unlock is makes since that this situation would cause heck with your locker as the tire with less pressure is turning faster to keep up...and trust me it does and it does get worse the faster you are traveling down the road. So before ripping into your diff again do a simple tire air pressure check.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I'm thinking sandaddik is on to something. Make sure that both of your rear tires are the same diameter.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

check your ball joints and front end parts.

all the locker does is replaces the spider gears inside the carrier.
it is normal to remove the carrier to install the locker. your dad wouldn't have messed anything up with the backlash.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 i6

i have an aussie in 98 w/a 8.25 swear by it far better then any luchbox i've had and just installed the same in a customers d35 no issues...go wheel it see if one side is locked and the other don't spin..but i doubt its the locker
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Metlic53 I have Aussie lockers in the front D30 and rear D44 of my XJ. I have the same exact problem you described everytime there is a difference in rear tire pressure between the left and right side. I mean even 1-2 psi difference. That in effect makes your tires two different sizes. Check the pressure of your rear tires. I bet you find a mismatch. Since a mismatch in tire speed side to side is what causes your Aussie to lock and unlock is makes since that this situation would cause heck with your locker as the tire with less pressure is turning faster to keep up...and trust me it does and it does get worse the faster you are traveling down the road. So before ripping into your diff again do a simple tire air pressure check.
I'm going to check pressures right now
Originally Posted by caged

it is normal to remove the carrier to install the locker. your dad wouldn't have messed anything up with the backlash.
well when we put the carrier back in (took quite awhile), it was grinding really bad, so i put it on my trailer and hauled it to a mechanic who fixed the grinding. I think i may need to change my ball joints, the front pops ever so often when i hit a bump.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by caged

i never pull a carrier installing a lunchbox.(if i can help it).and the 8.25 uses adjusters not shims so it is quite possible he messed up the backlash if he backed off the adjusters to get the carrier out and didn't set them up properly..however that would only cause a howl when warm if too tight or a clunk if it's too loose (eventually cause issues but those are initial characteristics)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metlic53
Which locker do you have?
When i went to install the locker my dad took out the whole carrier and i came back out and was like whoa!! so i had to go to a shop and get it put to spec, then found out the guy that did it thought the locker was the backlash cuz it can move back and forth and i had 0 backlash, took it back and he said it has correct backlash now and it still pushing the jeep to the right upon acceleration at any speed. I really don't want to take it to 4 wheel parts!!
On our 4th PowerTrax No-Slip in various vehicles including our XJ. That's the beauty of a lunchbox locker, no messy with the ring/pinion set-up, no removing the carrier, bearings, shims, etc., etc. Simple 2 hour install and half that time is spent removing/installing cover bolts, scraping/applying gasket/rtv and draining/adding gear oil. As mentioned, tire pressure needs to be spot on equal when on pavement.

Last edited by djb383; 01-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

When I blew my No-Spin in my rear it was pulling hard to the right and only one wheel would spin...Tj
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Circumstances?

Quick Reply: For Those With LunchBox Lockers