Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of wild sleeper v8 turbo street race project.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thinking of wild sleeper v8 turbo street race project.

I bought a 94 xj for my wife and we both love it. I want to buy another one for a new project. After finding out how light they are stock (2800-3000 lbs?) and how easily an 8.8 can be swpped in, I want to start a new project.

This is for street STYLE racing which is legally done on a drag strip, not the actual street. It is however done on the opposite end of the track on the un-prepped asphault.

I own a turbocharged 86 IROC camaro that I swapped a 4.8 liter silverado engine with a turbo which runs 10s so I know what needs to be done to make power. I would like to something similar to an xj jeep. Since they can support a big 30" slick or dot slick in stock form, this should have the opportunity to be a solid performer.

My questions are, is the xj body strong enough to support a hard launch and if not what are the options for strengthening the frame? Power will be between 500-600 RWHP. Also is the engine mount pads/subframe strong enough to support a high powered engine? Lastly what needs to be done to the rear end/leaf spring to keep pinion angle correct? Do any of you use traction bars?

Any other opinions welcome! This is my first post so wanted to start it off right!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First before anything if your racing in a class look up the rules and learn what you can and can not do to the jeep.With that kinda power and slicks the 8.8 would be a ticking time bomb.Go with a 9 inch or bigger to be safe,On the motor mounts see if you can run engine plates or not in that class.And as far as the body i would run a cage 6 point but again look at your class rules on cages.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 AM

Thanks Andrew!

This is a street car so no cage. The rules of the class are very basic and there is no tech inspection. Basically it's mufflers, dot approved tires, full interior. It's not a super hard launching drag car race or anything, but I would like to be able to cut a 1.6-1.7 60 ft.

I'm also contemplating starting with a 4wd jeep and then launching the car in 4 high for more traction. I know I will need a stouter transmission and transfer case as well as beefier front axle. Do people swap ford 8.8 axles to the front too?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 AM

Nevermind the 4wd that seems like a total PITA. I'll stick with 2wd for now LOL.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Only 8.8 front ford ever made was a ifs on a f150.In drag racing awd is only good for the first 30 feet then its just extra weight and drag on the engine.The rear leafs and none sticky track will be fun catching and holding traction.See if you can find drag leafs for it or have some made.On the body you could do frame stiffeners a few companies make them for the xj search see which ones you like better.Or find a g body they weight about 3200 lbs have a frame any engine will bolt in and a lot better rear suspension on it.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L, Inline Six

Check out XJ-R on Facebook the race an xj competitively and will be happy to answer questions
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by WarPath
Check out XJ-R on Facebook the race an xj competitively and will be happy to answer questions
To give you a quick treat, the XJ-R ran a 12.9 1/4 at 100mph, with the slushbox transmission. They've got a few videos on youtube. They are using the stock 4.0 (stock internals) with a T3/T4 Turbo. Lol. Stripped interior, of course. But still a very impressive statistic.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Wow that's impressive for a stock 4.0.

My goal for this jeep is trapping 120-130 and letting the et fall where it may. Hopefully low 11s/high 10s with track prep.

This already sounds like so much fun. I have a turbo 350 transmission sitting in my garage waiting to go in. Right now I'm keeping my eyes out for an xj with 2wd and manual windows that doesn't run. That way I get the best possible deal.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Check out PseudoSport on here. He would probably be the guy to talk too. Here is his Specs.
1995 2WD Jeep Cherokee XJ-R

Engine: Jeep 4.0L w/ 243K miles, 50 trim T3/T4 Turbo, MegaSquirt v3.0 EFI computer, GM 36 lbs injectors.

Transmission: Stock 2WD AW4, factory transmission computer

Front axle: Cut, notched, and bent 5 degrees to add -2.5 degrees camber per wheel, relocated and reinforced control arm brackets, cut springs (about 370 lbs), Ford-150 Rancho shocks, Addco 1 1/8 swaybar.

Rear Axle: Ford Explorer 8.8 w/ 3.73 gears and disc brakes, rebuild and shimmed stock LSD, 2 cherokee leaf packs added together, springs smoothed and greased then sealed with duck tape to prevent bind, Toyota Tacoma TRD Bilstein shocks, no rear swaybar.

Wheels: 15x10, 5" backspace front, 4" backspace rear

Tires: Hoosier A6 275/35R15

Race Weight: 2,677 lbs

Paint: Single stage urethane, inspired by Mark Donohue's 1971 AMC Javelin Trans Am.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f54/ju...thread-174699/
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L Turbo

Hi, our jeep is slightly twisted from years of autocross but so far so good. We're running an 8.8 with home made traction bars and our best 60' is 1.81 with an 8" slick. I bet with a little more work we could get a high 1.7. Also our power level we have yet to break anything but that could all change with another 300 ft/tq In the past we have always sucked at drag racing and have only recently started putting some effort into it. We still have a lot to learn but I'm happy to provide any info I can.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by PseudoSport
Hi, our jeep is slightly twisted from years of autocross but so far so good. We're running an 8.8 with home made traction bars and our best 60' is 1.81 with an 8" slick. I bet with a little more work we could get a high 1.7. Also our power level we have yet to break anything but that could all change with another 300 ft/tq In the past we have always sucked at drag racing and have only recently started putting some effort into it. We still have a lot to learn but I'm happy to provide any info I can.

Bad-a!!! That is an awesome setup! I might just buy one that's stock and run the 4.0 until it lets go. I run megasquirt 2 on my camaro so I'm very familuar with it. I'm assuming that you use the ms1 in conjunction with the stock ECU? You just splice into the signal wires to control fuel and spark? Where are you getting your tach input from and are you controlling fuel and spark both? Also are you still using the stock fuel pump?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'm in the process of getting my LM7 powered XJ together. It is getting an HX40 too... It's going to the strip as soon as it is done, so I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig

As far as mounting the LS in a XJ, the frame rails are really high and kinda tight. And there is next to no room for the turbo. Check out my build page to see how the engine sits in the bay.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L Turbo

Originally Posted by kyle86
Bad-a!!! That is an awesome setup! I might just buy one that's stock and run the 4.0 until it lets go. I run megasquirt 2 on my camaro so I'm very familuar with it. I'm assuming that you use the ms1 in conjunction with the stock ECU? You just splice into the signal wires to control fuel and spark? Where are you getting your tach input from and are you controlling fuel and spark both? Also are you still using the stock fuel pump?
I’m running MS1 as a standalone and have a pinout for a 1991-1995 harness if you need it. For the RPM signal MS1 and MS2 don’t have code for the stock Jeep crank signal so I used a 6 vane shutter wheel from a Ford 4.2L and a 1991-1993 Jeep 4.0L distributor. I still have the stock pump but it needs to be upgraded since it can’t keep up. There are a lot of compromises with our setup to meet budget since the Jeep was built for under $2013 for the GRM challenge but we’ve been having a lot of fun with it.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PseudoSport
I’m running MS1 as a standalone and have a pinout for a 1991-1995 harness if you need it. For the RPM signal MS1 and MS2 don’t have code for the stock Jeep crank signal so I used a 6 vane shutter wheel from a Ford 4.2L and a 1991-1993 Jeep 4.0L distributor. I still have the stock pump but it needs to be upgraded since it can’t keep up. There are a lot of compromises with our setup to meet budget since the Jeep was built for under $2013 for the GRM challenge but we’ve been having a lot of fun with it.

Well you've done a great job! On my camaro I've ran a jegs rebranded inline walbro 255 pump for $100 and the stock 3/8 fuel line and 5/16 return. It's supporting nearly 700 rwhp so I know it will be plenty for your jeep for the time being.

Fantastic idea on the ford distributor wheel! Do you have the megasquirt confirgured for a hall sensor input? I looked over your build page, it's really great and you've given me tons of ideas.

One more thing, how has your transmission held up?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 00SportXJ
I'm in the process of getting my LM7 powered XJ together. It is getting an HX40 too... It's going to the strip as soon as it is done, so I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig

As far as mounting the LS in a XJ, the frame rails are really high and kinda tight. And there is next to no room for the turbo. Check out my build page to see how the engine sits in the bay.
I just checked out your build! Very unique that you kept the 4wd and stock transfer case. Lots of good info there! Thanks!