Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

testing my ignition system

Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default testing my ignition system

Will someone please explain to me as if I were in first grade how to trouble shoot my ignition system? XJ was having stalling issues at idle, and also transmission (ax15) issues.

I replaced my tranny and replaced my fuel filter as I didn't have adequate pressure at the fuel rail pressure release valve. I now have adequate pressure.

Turned over but no start. I pulled a plug and hooked a wire to it. No spark. I figured CKP, so I replaced that to no avail. Coil was replaced last year. Same with cap and rotor. Now I'm thinking CMP, but I don't want to throw parts at it.

How should I test, where do I go from here, and how do I properly use a voltmeter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Use a test light on the primary plug of the coil. The light should light up on the + side, and should blink on the - side of the plug when cranking. If that checks out then you may have a bad coil. If there is no light on the + side, look for an open in the ignition circuit (blown fuse, bad relay, broken wire). If there is no blinking light on the - side, you need a pick up coil (cam sensor).
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I used an voltmeter to check all my connections via backprobe. A couple things came back bad, i.e., my coil and CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor). I had also thrown a new CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) in my XJ, to no avail.

All out of ideas, I started pulling my connections, cleaning them with electrical cleaner and greasing them with Di-electric grease. I pulled the CKP connections apart and lo and behold, the middle wire was pulled back inside the harness.

Word to the wise: examine your wiring harnesses closely. I fiddled with it and my XJ started right up. Another word to the wise: invest in a set of Noid Light checkers that you can connect to your injectors to check for pulse.