Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tail lights

Has anybody ever switched the rear light bulbs to led but kept the stock housing? Is it even possible?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by brokedadsjeep
Has anybody ever switched the rear light bulbs to led but kept the stock housing? Is it even possible?
I have been thinking about doing this myself. I put white marker lights on and switched to amber bulbs. They kinda show through destroying the look. Especially in the front.

My research indicates we use a EP-27 Flasher. To solve a hyperflashing issue you switch that over to an EP-27L. Guy in the video is using these for bulbs:

Amazon Amazon

I am thinking of spending a little more and using this style:

Amazon Amazon

There is this thing about LED's that I read about. Jeep run white bulbs behind all the lens. But with LED's they tell you to make the color of the bulb them same as the lens. So you would run amber bulbs behind an amber lens. White behind white. Red behind red. If you were to run a white bulb behind a red lens it would not be as bright. Or so I have read. My thing is that for turn signals I will be running an amber bulb behind a white lens. So I am wondering if that will be OK. Laws in my state say I can run white turn signals up front but rear have to be red or amber. Couple shots of the aftermarket tail light housings, still factory looking just no amber lens, and the white fronts. Let me repeat that I have not done this yet. So what I wrote is just what my research seems to indicate.

Last edited by Ralph77; 08-19-2018 at 01:13 AM.