Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail housing swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default Tail housing swap

I am looking into doing a hack and tap on my NP231(91). I have read probably a dozen or so ways. Which brings up my question. Is it possible to use a 96+ rear extension housing on a 95- down?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Why would you want to? I have a 90. I used the PORC kit. Replaces the entire output shaft rather than cutting it down. More work, but better solution. Stronger and considerably shorter.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Why would you want to? I have a 90. I used the PORC kit. Replaces the entire output shaft rather than cutting it down. More work, but better solution. Stronger and considerably shorter.
Thanks for the input... Just checked them out... Holy smokes batman, their prices are insane cheap!!!!! No joke ita cheaper to get an actual SYE from them than getting an IRO H&T setup. This makes me pleased
Old 02-02-2017, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Look them up on Amazon, that's where I got mine. Best price I found on it. They review well. Only issue that seems to be common is the output seal leaks. I noticed mine has started to leak, I have had it in the Jeep about 6 months now. It's a common seal, so it shouldn't be bad getting a replacement. As far as install, I pulled my transfer case out of the Jeep to do it on the work bench. The extra work to pull it out of the Jeep saves the aggravation of working under the jeep. BleepinJeep has a good video on youtube about installing the SYE.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by PNWpioneer
I am looking into doing a hack and tap on my NP231(91). I have read probably a dozen or so ways. Which brings up my question. Is it possible to use a 96+ rear extension housing on a 95- down?

PM XJ Wonders here on this forum he is very knowledgeable about SYE's and installs and sells them in TC's for a reasonable. But he can advise about quality of most kits wish I had spoke with him yrs ago before I bought my SYE.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Awesome thanks for the heads up. I have searched a few kits. As far as install I might just do it on my bench and rebuild my TC at the same time. For the moment I am getting adjusted to working 12hr nights and definitely need my checks to come in strong for me to commit. One question I have is can I run a XJ front axle or would I need a custom one. I will be on ~6" of lift with a 8.25 rear. I have read so many conflicting posts that I am getting confused with it