Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T&T Customs XJ Unibody Stiffeners

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default T&T Customs XJ Unibody Stiffeners

I've been looking into these things after someone suggested that it would be best if I strengthened my unibody. Is it actually that important to get? Also, it says they are designed to work with there control arm upgrades, and skid plates. would they work with other company's skid plates, control arms, or rock sliders? I used the search function to see if I could find any other information but was without luck. any thoughts would be helpful.
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=562
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

the unibody likes to twist and creak and crack when doing alot of offroading and flexing of the body. unibody stiffeners help to reduce that, and can make your unibody last twice as long if you do alot of offroading. frame stiffeners aren't all that expensive, and the benefits can go a long way. certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

as far as if their stiffeners fit with other products, i would just give them a call.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM

thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by zackxj
thanks!
I have the TnT Customs 5.5" Suspension with all of their parts for the XJ. I mean ALL of their products available for the XJ. I have their Y-Link suspension, their stiffeners, their rails, trackbar, limiting straps, mounts, trusses, UBEs, bumpers, etc. I've been running them since about May of 2009. Nothing has failed me. Not even a bushing has failed in that time. All of their products are good to go! Buy with confidence.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991

I have them and they made a huge difference in body stiffness....definitly worht the $$...my skid (stock bolted right up...if you want any am skid then you will have to drill....I suggest drilling thru the stiffeners before you wel them on via a drill press...layin on ye back with a drill motor thru 3/16ths metal will a lot harder...just a though...good luck
Cameron
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

yeah i was thinking that if something didn't fit quite right i could just bring out the drill.. im going to do some calling around first though lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Year: 1990

Just call or email Bob or any of the guys up there at T&T. They are great people to deal with, and have great products.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Year: 1989

I personally see no need for them on my rig. BUT that is because the body's on my XJ's are usually beat beyond recognition long before the twisted, dented and generally mangled frames become a problem. At that point I am ready for a new body so I just switch everything over.

If I had a XJ that I was going to try to make last 10 years or that was a weekend warrior you could bet money on it I would have them on there. Also if I did any sort of pre-running, jeepspeed or dunes they would be on there. They are a great product, just not everyone needs them.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

check out hd offroad engineering. brian makes good stiffeners for the front, middle and rear of the xj.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by outkast
I personally see no need for them on my rig. BUT that is because the body's on my XJ's are usually beat beyond recognition long before the twisted, dented and generally mangled frames become a problem. At that point I am ready for a new body so I just switch everything over.

If I had a XJ that I was going to try to make last 10 years or that was a weekend warrior you could bet money on it I would have them on there. Also if I did any sort of pre-running, jeepspeed or dunes they would be on there. They are a great product, just not everyone needs them.
this is exactly why I did put them on...my Jeep is a very clean low mileage specimen that i do use, admittedly not as a major rock crawler, but as a trail rig that does see hard trails that include body twisting stuff and I want my doors to close correctly for the next ten+ years and it did improve ride both on and off road.... my roof console, rear seat and many other things use to rattle and it took most of that out. as I mentioned earlier....definitly worth the price of admission
Cameron
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by ck1
this is exactly why I did put them on...my Jeep is a very clean low mileage specimen that i do use, admittedly not as a major rock crawler, but as a trail rig that does see hard trails that include body twisting stuff and I want my doors to close correctly for the next ten+ years and it did improve ride both on and off road.... my roof console, rear seat and many other things use to rattle and it took most of that out. as I mentioned earlier....definitly worth the price of admission
Cameron
Makes perfect sense to me, if I didn't need a new body every few years I would use them too!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ck1
Cameron
thanks for the input everyone very informative! I will defiantly be weighing my options before I make a choice though!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I have the TNT stiffeners as well. I think they are a good investment. It nice to have a solid place to mount sliders, skid plates, crossmember, etc. Just drill and tap.

You'll see other stiffeners come with holes pre-drilled for additional welding area, so I punched quite a few 1" holes and welded them in. Maybe not necessary but I didn't think it would hurt.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zackxj
I've been looking into these things after someone suggested that it would be best if I strengthened my unibody. Is it actually that important to get? Also, it says they are designed to work with there control arm upgrades, and skid plates. would they work with other company's skid plates, control arms, or rock sliders? I used the search function to see if I could find any other information but was without luck. any thoughts would be helpful.
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=562
As far as fitting with other companies' parts, the main issue would be with rocker guards since many are designed to tie into both the frame rail and the pinch seam. Since you're adding 3/16" to the outside of the frame rail, this would space the rockers out 3/16" from the pinch seam as well. If you're building your own rocker guards, no worries, just build them to fit. If you're buying rocker guards you'd just need to contact the company that builds them to see if they can be modified for you. I know that AJ's Offroad Armor rockers can be ordered built to fit with frame stiffeners.

Skid plates that wrap up the outside of the frame rails, like the Skid Row t'case skid, might have some issues, but you could probably finagle them into place.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason
As far as fitting with other companies' parts, the main issue would be with rocker guards since many are designed to tie into both the frame rail and the pinch seam. Since you're adding 3/16" to the outside of the frame rail, this would space the rockers out 3/16" from the pinch seam as well. If you're building your own rocker guards, no worries, just build them to fit. If you're buying rocker guards you'd just need to contact the company that builds them to see if they can be modified for you. I know that AJ's Offroad Armor rockers can be ordered built to fit with frame stiffeners.

Skid plates that wrap up the outside of the frame rails, like the Skid Row t'case skid, might have some issues, but you could probably finagle them into place.
thanks for the help!