Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

sway bar and link install question

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default sway bar and link install question

Im replacing almost all of the front suspension and steering components on my 00 xj. Making a 1-ton setup, new struts, new sway bar bushings, sway link bushings, ball joints, etc. So while I'm waiting for my reamer to get here to finish the 1-ton, I removed the sway bar and links. Installed the new bushings and bolted in the links at the bottom.

1) Does it matter which way the metal brackets for the sway bar are oriented? What about the slit in the bushings (forward or backward facing?)

2) do the links curve inward or outward? Im pretty sure inward though they didn't line up with the sway bar - about .5-1" off.

3) Im assuming wait to tighten top link bolts until I have the wheels on so that the suspension is compressed?

4) how do I know when the bottom and top bolt are tight enough?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Billy Bee View Post
Im replacing almost all of the front suspension and steering components on my 00 xj. Making a 1-ton setup, new struts, new sway bar bushings, sway link bushings, ball joints, etc. So while I'm waiting for my reamer to get here to finish the 1-ton, I removed the sway bar and links. Installed the new bushings and bolted in the links at the bottom.

1) Does it matter which way the metal brackets for the sway bar are oriented? What about the slit in the bushings (forward or backward facing?)
Doesnt matter. All that matters is they are the right size and the proper lube is used if required.

2) do the links curve inward or outward? Im pretty sure inward though they didn't line up with the sway bar - about .5-1" off.
Inwards.

3) Im assuming wait to tighten top link bolts until I have the wheels on so that the suspension is compressed?
I tightened my everything with the tires on the ground. Clean everything up first and put some antiseize onto the threads. Install the endlinks, followed by the sway bar. Then swing the sway bar into place and tighten the bolts a little at a time. You may have to shift the sway bar to line it up. Then torque to spec.

4) how do I know when the bottom and top bolt are tight enough?
Endlink to sway bar nut = 27ft-lbs
Endlink to axle nuts = 70ft-lbs
Sway bar brackets = 40ft-lbs
Those torque specs were taken out of my 97 FSM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome possum! Thats what I needed to know!