Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Suspension upgrade

My 01 cherokee is sagging big time in the back. I've decided to go ahead and get new leaf springs and new shocks...

I plan on getting 2" leaf springs and bigger shocks to give my Jeep a little starter lift.

My question is... when choosing rear leafs, is there a big difference in brands? The two I am considering are Old Man Emu and Pro Comp. The 2" pro comp leafs are $220 a pair and the Old Man Emu's are $290 a pair (both including shipping).

Is it worth the extra money to get Old Man Emu, which from reading other posts, is a solid choice?
Should I get Old Man Emu leafs and shocks? Or can I choose a "lesser quality" without truly losing anything as far as ride quality and performance?

I am quite new to suspension upgrades, and most Jeep mods in general. My older brother is the Jeep guy.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

OME. Hands down
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

OME is just super reputable and twice the price. i had not had much experience with them besides a steering stabilizer and it made no difference between the skyjacker one.

as for leafs, I seriously think that metal is metal, the difference i could see is longevity and the quality of the bushing. but hey i might be speaking out of my ***, when i finally order new leafs im going with the pro comps because they are so cheap. Also you can find them on amazon if you search the part number and get free shipping, so thats something to think about if you go that route. For me, mines just a fun jeep that doesnt get wheeled too hard so id imagine the pro comps will work for me but maybe your harder on your jeep and they might not hold up. I have read a few reviews on the PC leafs and they didnt sound bad.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tx2001xj
My 01 cherokee is sagging big time in the back. I've decided to go ahead and get new leaf springs and new shocks...

I plan on getting 2" leaf springs and bigger shocks to give my Jeep a little starter lift.

My question is... when choosing rear leafs, is there a big difference in brands? The two I am considering are Old Man Emu and Pro Comp. The 2" pro comp leafs are $220 a pair and the Old Man Emu's are $290 a pair (both including shipping).

Is it worth the extra money to get Old Man Emu, which from reading other posts, is a solid choice?
Should I get Old Man Emu leafs and shocks? Or can I choose a "lesser quality" without truly losing anything as far as ride quality and performance?

I am quite new to suspension upgrades, and most Jeep mods in general. My older brother is the Jeep guy.

Thanks.
Dont cheap out on ANYTHING if you really want to keep it long term. OME leafs and OME shocks all the way around is a great choice, not much better you can do. Buy OME and youll never regret it. Cheap out, youll regret it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Something to consider to is if your wanting more lift later say a 4.5" or what not, it'll be a waste of money to go and pay for a 2" and then turn around and buy a 4.5". Might as well save the money and get a bigger lift right off the bat, if that is your intentions. As for your regular question, I'd go OME for the quality over procomp for the cheapness.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by 200sportxj
OME is just super reputable and twice the price. i had not had much experience with them besides a steering stabilizer and it made no difference between the skyjacker one.

as for leafs, I seriously think that metal is metal, the difference i could see is longevity and the quality of the bushing. but hey i might be speaking out of my ***, when i finally order new leafs im going with the pro comps because they are so cheap. Also you can find them on amazon if you search the part number and get free shipping, so thats something to think about if you go that route. For me, mines just a fun jeep that doesnt get wheeled too hard so id imagine the pro comps will work for me but maybe your harder on your jeep and they might not hold up. I have read a few reviews on the PC leafs and they didnt sound bad.
yup. out of your *** on all counts. a dampener is a dampener. only difference I can see is that the more expensive one should last longer. and metal is not just metal. OME leaf packs are high quality and will last a long time where as RC, sky jacker, pro comp is all crap and youre just wasting your money. do it right and get the OME packs
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos

yup. out of your *** on all counts. a dampener is a dampener. only difference I can see is that the more expensive one should last longer. and metal is not just metal. OME leaf packs are high quality and will last a long time where as RC, sky jacker, pro comp is all crap and youre just wasting your money. do it right and get the OME packs
X2 buy a complete OME lift 3-5in lift. Great ride done right.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

2 weeks into my brand new RC 4.5" kit was all it takes for me to throw in the towel.....

OEM FTW!

Name:  DSC08155.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  144.7 KB
Name:  DSC08187.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  140.2 KB

Dont forget, it gonna be another $40 for bushings.

If you now exactly which OME springs you want, then get from amazon with free shipping, otherwise go to Dirk (DPG offroad) as he is quite knowledgeable and would give you some good advice.

GL
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
2 weeks into my brand new RC 4.5" kit was all it takes for me to throw in the towel.....

OEM FTW!

Dont forget, it gonna be another $40 for bushings.

If you now exactly which OME springs you want, then get from amazon with free shipping, otherwise go to Dirk (DPG offroad) as he is quite knowledgeable and would give you some good advice.

GL
Also the rc leafs are short expcally the 4.5
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would either go with OME or RE. This is the best price I've found on RE leafs http://autoplicity.com/products/2074...gn=GSNOFITMENT

I used 4wheelparts price match to get them locally and not have to pay shipping. Can't beat $102 per leaf. The manager at 4wheelparts was confused about the price since 4wheelparts owns Rubicon Express now, I guess autoplicity sells them at cost!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
Also the rc leafs are short expcally the 4.5
Now you tell me
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by sthon
I would either go with OME or RE. This is the best price I've found on RE leafs http://autoplicity.com/products/2074...gn=GSNOFITMENT

I used 4wheelparts price match to get them locally and not have to pay shipping. Can't beat $102 per leaf. The manager at 4wheelparts was confused about the price since 4wheelparts owns Rubicon Express now, I guess autoplicity sells them at cost!
that is a pretty good price. but if you're going out of your way to specifically buy leaf packs alone
then OME is worth the extra couple bucks for sure. but go with clayton or deaver if you're gonna really beat on it
http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/old-ma...af-spring.html
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng

Now you tell me
My bad.