Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0
Default Supercharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

A few years back I was waiting for my first son to be born and needed a project to do. I had a gen 3 m90, possibly from a 3.8l Bonneville, available to me. So I broke out the wood carving tools and a handsaw.

I had the wood blocks converted to aluminum. The conversion plate is a rough sand cast from Aussie speed shop in Australia.

Then to get the boost up to 12psi. I had the snout machined and a 2.55in pulley from ZZP bolted on. I did the math a while ago I think at 5000 engine rpm the SC would be somewhere around 13k. I need to recheck that number though. The lowest rated bearing in the gen 3 m90 is possibly 12k. I don't have an official source for that.

Then came some 36lbs injectors and a 30-1913 AEM FIC to scale them. A much longer serpentine belt was needed. Also some renix era plugs. The exhaust was wrapped and a wideband sensor installed about 2inches below the stock NB. Don't forget the big hole in the hood.

The last pic is of the stock diverter valve and a screw type boost controller. By increasing tension on the MBC I could disable the closing of the bypass valve producing no boost and the Jeep would be in a sort of valet mode.

This set up got a good power increase to the mid range. Nothing really impressive at the first 3rd of the rpm range and it would produce high intake temps (even with pre-rotor methanol) during the final 3rd of the rpm range with ambient temps 90 or above. In the end it wasn't enough power increase for the amount of work put in but it was fun and my son always asked to go for a ride in the superjeep. He was a little bummed out when he saw it taken apart but he is warming up to the turbojeep.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Hey buddy, I'm in the process of doing pretty much the same thing. I couldn't justify spending 3500 to supercharge it so I picked up a gen 3 m90 dirt cheap at the upull. I came across a cast aluminum adapter from aussie speed but wasn't sure if it would work, then came across this thread. It looks as though you used a secondary adapter in top of the aussie speed adapter, mind going into a little more details?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0

There was a private convo to this post, the summary was this:

The aussie speed shop plate will not work with the gen 3 m90 without extensive machine work. That or a plug needs to be installed under the throttle body inlet on the supercharger. A riser block was used to get the plate above the fuel rail. Ultimately the set up was put on the shelf and replaced with a turbocharger kit which was and still is superior in every aspect.