Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroke the motor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Stroke the motor???

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...er40/index.asp

What do you all think about this article? I spoke to this guy at the local pits down here and he stroked his wrangler and said it brought his engine beyond resurrection and it wasnt as much as one would think. So have anyone heard of this? Any problems? What is all going to be needed?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Google Jeep stroker. you'll have a years worth of reading before attempting anything of this nature.

This is one of those situations that if you're asking, you probably shouldnt attempt it.

I've been working on jeeps for 12 years now, however I've only torn apart two engines and I personally wouldnt attempt it.

If you want to get a shop to do it by all means, its a great option.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

SEARCH!

Its been done, lots and lots and lots of times. www.jeepstroker.com

The search button on this forum is an amazing tool, and its ok that some people dont know how to use it, but you couldve put "jeep stroker" in a google search box just as easy as posting a new thread.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh sorry I didnt really clarify that... Yes a shop will be doing it but is it worth stroking it or should i just rebuild it with better pistons or purchase a "newer" engine for some more power
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Oh no I have... I just want to see if anyone has hands on experience in the forums so i can wrap my hands around a real number and real experience not some random guy that doesnt want to feel dumb stroking the motor if it was useless, you know?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait
Oh no I have... I just want to see if anyone has hands on experience in the forums so i can wrap my hands around a real number and real experience not some random guy that doesnt want to feel dumb stroking the motor if it was useless, you know?
Dude. Google results include results from forums, including this one. If you need the internet to know if rebuilding a motor with better parts and machining is going to be "worth it" then i forsee the shop youre going to use to do the work making lots and lots of money.....
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I'm in.

I have hear horror stories about dependability issues. It is all scattered posting too. So it would be nice to learn the truth about a stroker and its longjevity.

When its stroked; how big is to big for a dd. I just want some good torq for traffic. Not tryin to race anyone offcourse,I just want my power to match my exaust sound.

So if u guys could jujst humor us, I'm sure gatorbait and myself would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by OEJ
I'm in.

I have hear horror stories about dependability issues. It is all scattered posting too. So it would be nice to learn the truth about a stroker and its longjevity.

When its stroked; how big is to big for a dd. I just want some good torq for traffic. Not tryin to race anyone offcourse,I just want my power to match my exaust sound.

So if u guys could jujst humor us, I'm sure gatorbait and myself would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks ^^ If you dont know an answer dont say search, because I have searched and am familiar with stroking motors just not with jeeps and this particular motor. I got a 302 stroked so I dont need stupid remarks just give an answer, thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by OEJ
I'm in.

Any motor is going to be as dependable as you make it. You can rebuild to factory specs and have a motor fail in 10 miles, ive seen people with bored/stroked motors run for 100,000 miles.

Best bet for rebuilding a motor that sees dd use is to use very COMMON, factory parts to make increases to the bore and stroke of the motor. More c.i., more compression = more power....it doesnt work any other way.

Using common parts makes it incredibly simple to find parts for if something were to fail, and limits you from making an all-out *****-to-the-wall high performance, gas sucking motor.

Better parts(bigger pistons, long-throw crank, mls head gaskets, milled heads, line honed blocks, etc.) Plastigauging all bearings, and using quality bearings, seals, and the like add to reliability. Most builds include trans coolers, dual/triple electric fans, better water pumps and the like to further improve reliability.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait
Thanks ^^ If you dont know an answer dont say search, because I have searched and am familiar with stroking motors just not with jeeps and this particular motor. I got a 302 stroked so I dont need stupid remarks just give an answer, thanks
A jeep motor isnt exactly rocket surgery. It uses the exact same principles to make power as every other gasoline engine known to man - including a 302

The more air you can (efficiently) cram in, and blow out....the more power.

And on the edit: jeeps 4.0l was the only motor we actually had to use the stuff to sieze motors during cash for clunkers. We put bricks on the gas pedal and ran them until the cat caught the carpet on fire in the truck, motor was still strong. Poured water in the oil, sand in the valve cover, etc, etc....just kept going.

Last edited by the buddmang; 10-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

True, but power is important along with reliability. So what would be a safe stroker that will net the most power. To me a 4.7 is a grenade waiting to explode.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

my friend has a 91 comanchee- he got a 97 block, 258 crank and rods. had those checked out, but new pistons bearings, gaskets, rebuilt head, and a mild comp cam and it spun 35s like they were not there. it came out to be a 4.5 when using a 4.0 with 258 crank and rods. he has put 20 k on it with no issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by OEJ
True, but power is important along with reliability. So what would be a safe stroker that will net the most power. To me a 4.7 is a grenade waiting to explode.
I just read an article in a jeep magazine and they had a 5.0l stroker on 19lbs of boost making 700+ hp and 700+lbft of torque. They beat the ever-loving **** out of it on the dyno and pulled the head to check if everything was holding up and the crosshatching on the cylinder walls looked brand new.

A motor is only as reliable as you make it. Cheap, fast, quality....you only get two outta the three. It can be cheap and fast, but it wont last. It can cheap and last forever, but t wont be fast. It can fast and last forever, but it damn sure wont be cheap.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM

If i were to build a motor for my jeep, i would figure out my budget first and foremost.

Get the best quality machine work that I could afford, then allot the rest of my money for parts. All the expensive parts in the world aint gonna do any good if you cant put them together right.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Search "poor man's stroker". Dr Dyno knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Stroke the motor???