Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Suspension shot. Considering lift...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline six
Default Stock Suspension shot. Considering lift...

I have a 93 XJ 5spd 2WD. I've been considering putting a 3" lift on it, but I was going to hold off on that until next spring.

Having said that, some of the roads here in Northern Minnesota are a bit... rough, and the current stock suspension is obviously shot. Going over a bump at speed the other day, I thought I knocked something out of the bottom, but it was just the shocks hitting bottom.

Questions:
1: I'm looking at a Rough Country lift. If I put that on, is that a full suspension swap? Meaning, would that replace everything that would need to be replaced anyway if I were to have the stock suspension fixed (or fixed myself).

2: She's got brand new snow tires, and I don't really want to buy new rims / tires to "fill out" the lift just yet, how awkward would a 3" lifted XJ look with stock tires?

Thanks in advance. :-)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Yes most of the worn out stuff will be replaced with new parts from rough country. Keep in mind rough country is a good bang for the buck but other lift kits will outlast it. You'll want to look into new rear springs instead of the single add a leaf. Take a look at your rear springs. Chances are your leaf springs are flat or negative arched. You'll want new springs. Front coils, probably lower control arms, look into sway bar end links because 3" lift leaves the stock links at weird angles and wears out bushings faster. The front axle is going to be offset to the drivers side probably 1/2" after the lift because the stock track bar is too short. Front brake lines will need checked after lifting to ensure the rubber hose is long enough. Might run into driveline vibes out back. It's a tough game. Oh shocks to you'll replace those
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Forget about the RC lift and look at something like the Rustys Off Road 3" full leaf/coil lift package all American made and a good valve for about $430 bucks. With a 3" lift you can get buy with the stock brake lines just re-route and a transfer case drop kit $35 or so. Do plan on an adj. track bar for around $150 give or take depending on quality. Other than those 2 items everything else should be included in the kit, as in all kits the shocks are low cost ones and an upgrade later on will help the ride.

With 3" of lift the stock tires will look small till your ready to upgrade those later to something like a 31 to 33" tire looks good with it. I have had a Rustys lift on for 2 years with zero sag even with my XJ being heavily loaded all the time in the cargo area and a heavy winch and bumper.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. :-)

Since it's only 2WD (at the moment), I don't have to worry about the tcase drop, do I? I would assume so, but all my wrench hours and learning have been on the top half of cars. It was too dark when I got home last night to climb under her and check, but I'll give the current stock suspension a good look over this afternoon.

I've been researching what I'd need to actually do for the past two days, so hopefully it'll go off without a hitch.

Thanks for the alternate vendor suggestion, Fred. :-)

Dave/W4SWX
Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 98cherokee531
Yes most of the worn out stuff will be replaced with new parts from rough country. Keep in mind rough country is a good bang for the buck but other lift kits will outlast it. You'll want to look into new rear springs instead of the single add a leaf. Take a look at your rear springs. Chances are your leaf springs are flat or negative arched. You'll want new springs. Front coils, probably lower control arms, look into sway bar end links because 3" lift leaves the stock links at weird angles and wears out bushings faster. The front axle is going to be offset to the drivers side probably 1/2" after the lift because the stock track bar is too short. Front brake lines will need checked after lifting to ensure the rubber hose is long enough. Might run into driveline vibes out back. It's a tough game. Oh shocks to you'll replace those

You were 100% correct. The rear springs are, in fact, negative arched. :-/ No wonder it's so bumpy.. Thanks a ton for all the info.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weirdire

You were 100% correct. The rear springs are, in fact, negative arched. :-/ No wonder it's so bumpy.. Thanks a ton for all the info.
No problem, I've been through a lot with my last two Cherokees and going through it all again with my third. Each one I try a few different things that I know weren't so great on the last two. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Yes you will need a transfer case drop kit the tires have nothing to do with it just the amount lift you have. More than 3" or so of lift and you will need a SYE for the transfer case to be installed.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM

Year: 2000

Wouldn't a 2wd not have a transfer case? Or am I missing something?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its 2wd you can probably get by with no t-case drop or slip yoke eliminator.