Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default stock lift?

Has anyone built there XJ around a stock lift? Or maybe did their lift very last as far as upgrades go?....That being said here is a little about me. I Will not be doing any rock crawling.(I am just not into it) I plan on just trails & snow (I'm in montana). And have a stock cherokee with 235 75 15 tire size. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by Dakri
Has anyone built there XJ around a stock lift? Or maybe did their lift very last as far as upgrades go?....That being said here is a little about me. I Will not be doing any rock crawling.(I am just not into it) I plan on just trails & snow (I'm in montana). And have a stock cherokee with 235 75 15 tire size. Any ideas?
Had been done.

For One that is in the process of being built search "project turdbox"
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Year: 1994

I've been driving my xj stock for the last 5 years on 235/75/r15's I am currently looking at getting a lift but have done plenty of mudding, sand and trail driving with it. I'll be getting a set of bumpers in March for it and then later a lift and that's about all I'll ever do probably. I love Cherokees even stock ones look good to me.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get recovery points or armor first if you don't have anything already. If you want to keep stock height chances are you will need both of those being that low. Ive seen a lot of people do lift and tires before recovery and then get screwed because they don't have good points to hook up from.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Your stated use is the exact same thing as mine and having lived in MT. Butte and CO. Arvada spent my share of time in the mountains and snow both. Here in SW MO. I trail ride in National Forest's and private property belonging to a relative over 12,000 ac. along with several 4x4 parks.

With my 99 XJ first things were making everything mechanical in good shape. Then I started in this order because I wanted to start using it as soon as possible.
1.Removed Rear Sway Bar
2.Installed a 3" lift full spring pack with shocks
3.T/C drop Kit
4.Adj Track Bar
5.Used Ft. Tube Winch Bumper ($50 off of CL) with D-Rings
6.Built a Receiver Hitch adapter with a D-Ring on it
7.New Tires & Wheels 33x12:50x15"/trimmed fender wells
I worked slowly on this for 3 weeks to get this far, I was not in a hurry.

8.Loaded up my Hi-Lift Jack along recovery straps and misc. and had a full weekend of 4 wheeling.

Since then have added several other things and now starting on the drivetrain. IMHO a lift of clearance is a major issue for off roading.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Thanks guys! Yup after my research and all your help. I'm going with some recovery points,its gonna kinda be spendy so while I'm saving I'm gonna see if I can score some used injectors. I have made my mind on Borla exaust also. (Nothing is set in stone yet)
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twinfin
I've been driving my xj stock for the last 5 years on 235/75/r15's I am currently looking at getting a lift but have done plenty of mudding, sand and trail driving with it. I'll be getting a set of bumpers in March for it and then later a lift and that's about all I'll ever do probably. I love Cherokees even stock ones look good to me.
you do any engine mods? And what order?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Some AT tires, maybe up to 30", swaybar disconnects, skids and sliders, ditch the rear swaybar, recovery points would be my list, in no particular order. At stock height, you may benefit from the front skid found on some xjs too.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Thanks guys! Yup after my research and all your help. I'm going with some recovery points,its gonna kinda be spendy so while I'm saving I'm gonna see if I can score some used injectors. I have made my mind on Borla exaust also. (Nothing is set in stone yet)
Depending on when/where you want to wheel in Mt you will need some clearance- at the very least some larger tires/trimming. Don't get me wrong, bombing around on logging roads or going on a maintained trail in the FS you will be fine- Just get sliders to save your doors, skid plates to save your guts and a winch. There are quite a few trails here where you will need more space/travel than what a stock XJ can give you. Really depends on what you are looking to do. I have a stock XJ, had one with a 4.5 inch, and my current is at 6.5 and there is no way my stocker could do some of my favorites in the state-

If you are going to be working on it for awhile, I might have some parts for ya... about to put my stroker in and have lots of stuff Ill be swapping out (im sure mailing to Livingston wont be a problem from Missoula) Ill have the neon injector upgrade, Rustys fender flares, possibly a JCR front bumper with the pre-runner bar... I'll let ya know. I just trade a 1ton steering for a box of bullets and some energy drinks a month or two ago haha.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Project CHIOBA fits 31" tires on stock suspension.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "stock lift", it is an oxymoron. A "lift" is inherently NOT stock. (With the quasi-exception of the UpCountry suspension package which was a factory option that provided 1" lift over stock)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Year: 1994

you do any engine mods? And what order?
No none yet just a butt ton of preventive maintenance stuff. I just hit 226k miles last week and she is still purring. I may eventually do a motor swap but she'll have to die on me or hit 300k first.