Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo head unit replaced with Tablet

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991, 1997 & 2000 (yeah, I got 3)
Model: Cherokee
Default Stereo head unit replaced with Tablet

Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

I'm thinking about something like that for my mid-80s Cadillac with a double-din stereo opening. There are some aftermarket mounts and kits for double-din setups.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/an...sh-mod-151803/

Originally Posted by JAlvl3Z
May seem excessive for off roading, but this is my shock proof android mount.

1. Began with cutting back center vents and sealing completely.
2. Wired for five channel amp under right rear seat.
3. Wired two *****, which you can see on the left, for master volume and bass control.
4. Charger is wired to ignition. The home button is not accessible with the cover so I wired the momentary button under the ***** to temporarily disconnect power. That allows me to turn the screen on and off as I drive. A relocated home button if you will.
5. Made a mock tablet out of wood exactly to dimensions. Along with outline of screen.
6. Cut the rounded screen shape into quarter inch abs.
7. Heat wrapped the abs around the wood mock peace on the bottom and sides. The top is left open to allow the tablet to slide out.
8. Trimmed the dash bezel to allow the screen to be visible.
9. Super glued the mount in place. (Picture 1)
10. Hot glued large gaps.
11. With abs dash mods bond will absolutely crack so I used a 2 part plastic epoxy to mold my shape.
12. Sanded sanded sanded
13. Primer with sand able primer to fill pin holes (picture 2)
14. Painted.
15. Made a custom jeep wallpaper to match dash colors.

Thanks for looking! Next project - molding air tank to left rear quarter panel

Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Eliminating those AC vents significantly reduces the effectiveness of the AC system. And when you turn the heat on, if you select the wrong setting you cook the back of the tablet and it will shut down. Not a good idea IMO.

I can remove this easily to take inside and load music or maps or whatever, and also put it in the glovebox, to keep the tweakers from thieving it.

I bought the tablet off Ebay (used) for $68, spent $4 for the AutomateIt app, and $12 for Backcountry Navigator, and $5 for the 90* microUSB adapter cord. Nexus 7 tablets are known to have a very good GPS reciever, so for about $100 I've got a navigation, internet & music solution.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if you have unlimited data plan on your phone, you can always use your phone as a wifi hub and tune into your favourite radio station via internet through the tablet.

or some tablets can actually take a sim card and you can get just a data plan and do it that way too. this is my plan if i can find a provider with unlimited plan as i live way up north and radio stations suck, i miss my 102.1 from toronto while i'm in the jeep.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Year: '98

I've never quite found the appeal in this for all the messing around required. That said versus hardwiring all the audio, I'd just opt for a bluetooth audio receiver to plug into the amp.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by n00g7
I've never quite found the appeal in this for all the messing around required. That said versus hardwiring all the audio, I'd just opt for a bluetooth audio receiver to plug into the amp.
I have this planned for my build later on. The reason I want it is not so much for the stereo, but to run Torque. There comes a point where you have too many redundant screens or control inputs around you and not enough real estate on the dash for all of them to be mounted. I would like to be able to run Torque and control my audio (including a hidden head unit) from one dash-mounted tablet.

Although I'm aware that the Nexus 7 is the best choice for an in-dash tablet, I was actually hoping for something smaller to better fit the existing 1.5 DIN space. I was disappointed that the Kindle Fire HD6 can't be rooted, because it would be just about the perfect size. I have considered using the faceplate off an OEM 1.5 DIN stereo and mounting a Galaxy Note phablet in it in place of the buttons and cassette opening to keep it looking OEM. Those are still way too expensive right now, though.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

I got a bunch of spare screens and touchscreens from work the other day that they were gonna toss, mostly ~10 inch screens. Soon enough I'm going to figure out powering them from ribbon cables and build a mini-itx computer inside the glovebox area and run it to a screen. Thieves wouldn't know how to steal it anyway. Not only that, but I could have as large of a hard drive as I wanted on it (solid state) - it's a future project for my truck first, but if it turns out good enough I might do it in the Jeep.

Sure I could just throw a tablet in there, but if I wanted to go crazy enough, I could upgrade the video card and maybe even some sort of auxiliary monitor/screen that I can plug in to use for a bigger screen, and be capable of playing games like GTA5 on max settings (comes out next month, woooot) - with wireless 360 controllers, for <$400 total.

I'm a nerd...
Old 02-11-2015, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Look up "sound man" or "amplified" on the YouTube. You will see some nice iPad installs and kits that are available.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by n00g7
Not much messing around at all. Remove existing stereo & replace with a .120 aluminum plate to mostly cover its hole. Make a 3" x 7" x 1" wood block, with a 1/4" spacer strip along the top. Run a stripe of double stick tape along this strip, and along the bottom edge of the block too. Replace the dash bezel, then insert wood block into the hole, center it up and stick it to the alum plate. Remove bezel & plate w/ block stuck on, and run a couple of screws thru the plate and into the wood from the back side. Hose the front side with flat black, then cover the wood block with Velcro. Cover back of tablet with Velcro. Replace plate & block, run wires, replace dash bezel...and stick the tablet onto the wood block. This took me about 45 min.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I have this planned for my build later on. The reason I want it is not so much for the stereo, but to run Torque. There comes a point where you have too many redundant screens or control inputs around you and not enough real estate on the dash for all of them to be mounted. I would like to be able to run Torque and control my audio (including a hidden head unit) from one dash-mounted tablet.
I also got a 90* audio cable. That runs from the tablet's headphone jack down to the amp under the seats, which powers a pair of 6x9's in fuzzy gray boxes. These just sit in the back seat, unless I take them out and set them on the roof. I also have Torque. So I have navigation, music, OBDII diagnostics, email, news, weather... ****? One screen does it all.

Originally Posted by caged
if you have unlimited data plan on your phone, you can always use your phone as a wifi hub and tune into your favourite radio station via internet through the tablet.

or some tablets can actually take a sim card and you can get just a data plan and do it that way too. this is my plan if i can find a provider with unlimited plan as i live way up north and radio stations suck, i miss my 102.1 from toronto while i'm in the jeep.
I do this with my iPhone - the tablet is wifi only. I have not as yet had a data overage problem...but then I am out of the country alot and not using my phone so maybe they average it out.

Regarding radio stations: they all suck. They feed you bull**** in order to hold your attention so they can bombard you with advertising. I've reached my lifetime bull**** limit. I listen to Pandora One, with a paid subscription so I get no ads.

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
I got a bunch of spare screens and touchscreens from work the other day that they were gonna toss, mostly ~10 inch screens. Soon enough I'm going to figure out powering them from ribbon cables and build a mini-itx computer inside the glovebox area and run it to a screen. Thieves wouldn't know how to steal it anyway. Not only that, but I could have as large of a hard drive as I wanted on it (solid state) - it's a future project for my truck first, but if it turns out good enough I might do it in the Jeep.

Sure I could just throw a tablet in there, but if I wanted to go crazy enough, I could upgrade the video card and maybe even some sort of auxiliary monitor/screen that I can plug in to use for a bigger screen, and be capable of playing games like GTA5 on max settings (comes out next month, woooot) - with wireless 360 controllers, for <$400 total.

I'm a nerd...
...and when you're bumper to bumper at 65 mph...what could be better than GTA5 on max settings? Yup...you're a nerd.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by goatherder
So I have navigation, music, OBDII diagnostics, email, news, weather... ****? One screen does it all.
That's a good point about weather. I have Radar Now on my phone and have used it a number of times out on the road to figure out whether I should forge ahead or pull over and wait out bad weather. It would be nice to be able to pull that up in my dash.