Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Upgrade question (also wrecked my jeep)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High output
Exclamation Steering Upgrade question (also wrecked my jeep)!

So last Saturday I was driving down the freeway and something in the steering gave out, the Jeep went left even after I turned the wheel all the way to the right, causing my Jeep to hit the median on the freeway. Its not to damaged (I got kinda lucky) but It needs a new tie rod etc.. figured I might as well upgrade the steering so I'm thinking about running Rustys offroad Over the Knuckle kit with a 1999 durango box with steering box braces and a PS cooler. Heres the over the knuckle kit http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=ste

Can anyone tell me the advantages of running an over the knuckle kit or if they are even worth it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Steering Upgrade question (also wrecked my jeep)!-photo0449.jpg   Steering Upgrade question (also wrecked my jeep)!-photo0451.jpg   Steering Upgrade question (also wrecked my jeep)!-photo0452.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** man, that sucks. Glad you're okay. I'm obnoxiously OCD about checking my links. The idea of that happening at speed is just too scary to comprehend; you did get lucky. Got any closer pictures? looks like you ripped off a sway bar mount, so that'll save you some time with the OTK setup; or is that the other end? I have Rusty's "steering conversion" setup and I don't like how it can contact my track bar bolt on a hard right turn but that won't be an issue with OTK. Just make sure you find some info on their heim joints and what they want you to do to the spindles.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 High output

Originally Posted by s14unimog
**** man, that sucks. Glad you're okay. I'm obnoxiously OCD about checking my links. The idea of that happening at speed is just too scary to comprehend; you did get lucky. Got any closer pictures? looks like you ripped off a sway bar mount, so that'll save you some time with the OTK setup; or is that the other end? I have Rusty's "steering conversion" setup and I don't like how it can contact my track bar bolt on a hard right turn but that won't be an issue with OTK. Just make sure you find some info on their heim joints and what they want you to do to the spindles.
Defiantly something I do not think I want to have happen again. No so much fun haha! But I'll take some more pictures when I get off work and post em. And it broke part of the sway bar off, but I think the mount for it is still on there.. and I'll get the info on their heim joints and what not thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

With most of the otk kits, you will want to raise your trackbar mount as well. Best bet is the Currie currectlink crossover, you choice of utk or otk.