Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Upgrade

Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Steering Upgrade

I have a 1997 Cherokee with a 4.5" Rough Country lift. I need to replace front ball joints, steering stabilizer and weld a new trackbar mounting bracket.

I am looking for recommendations on upgraded/heavy duty parts that will hold up the the strains of the lift and light off roading.

Should these be replaced or will they come with whatever kits I buy......
Tie Rod Ends (all four, plus the upper track bar end)
Track Bar mounting bracket
Steering Box Brace
Track Bar Ends

Should I replace pitman arm with one with a drop? Or not necessary.

I've had recommendations of Moog, SFR, Iron Rock Offroad. Not looking to bust the bank, but looking for good quality products that will hold up.
thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by cschneider69
I have a 1997 Cherokee with a 4.5" Rough Country lift. I need to replace front ball joints, steering stabilizer and weld a new trackbar mounting bracket.

I am looking for recommendations on upgraded/heavy duty parts that will hold up the the strains of the lift and light off roading.

Steering Box Brace
Track Bar Ends

I've had recommendations of Moog, SFR, Iron Rock Offroad. Not looking to bust the bank, but looking for good quality products that will hold up.
thanks
Just my 2cents, When I got my XJ, steering was supper sloppy so I replaced almost everything. I got a Durango Steering Box, Iron Rock Offroad Steering box spacer (Glad I did because I was seeing small stress fractures in the "Frame") all Moog tie rod ends, Iron rock offroad adjustable Track Bar, and went ahead and upgraded to a new moog WJ Tie Rod (Solid instead of hollow bar). I also have a 4.5 rough country lift, but after everything I decided to stick with the Factory Pitman arm and have not regretted it at all. I did a bunch of reading, and as long as your track bar and Drag link stay fairly parallel with each other, you should be fine.

Once again, just my 2cents, but this is the Internet, so awaiting someone to tell how I'm going to crash and die in my jeep because I did it wrong.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the forum. This topic has literally been beaten to death over the many years of modifying cherokee's. Try the search function on the forum, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Not looking to bust the bank, but looking for good quality products that will hold up.
thanks
Buy quality. Cry once.

Steering Box Brace
Track Bar Ends

At your lift height, have you looked at UTK or OTK steering options? At that height, both will offer an advantage over stock, but since you stated light off road, UTK probably fits better for you. You can ditch the stabilizer if you set it up properly. Tie rod ends will be included in any good UTK kit. Check out Serious Offroad, he has one of the best kits on the market for the price, IMO....don't worry about a drop pitman...not necessary if you do it the right way. Steering box brace is never a bad idea, and upgrade to a double shear adjustable track bar with the proper brackets.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I'm a huge fan of Crossover Steering. Cavfab makes a really nice kit with Ruffstuff heims for a great price.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the trackbar https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...k-bar-kit.html is your best budget option.The steering zj v8 or the under the knuckle kits out there if you don't mind reaming out the steering holes.