Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering upgrade

Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with Bomb proof mounts
Question Steering upgrade

Hey everyone im looking to redo all my steering, at the moment i have deth wobble. I just got a new 99 durango steering box now im looking for a good track bar(looken at rugged ridge) with frame stiffener and also hd steering links, also rugged ridge.Also i checked iron rock and rustys but open to any other brands, Any advice would be great thanks to all who reply.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...rack-Bar-XJ-ZJ

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...BAR-BRACKET-HD

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=89921
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

Keep in mind.

IF you do a aftermarket drop pitman arm then you need a drop track bar bracket. And also the opposite, if you do a track bar bracket that is dropped then you need to match it with a dropped pitman arm.

Currie is pretty much a leader in Jeep TJ and XJ products.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3487

And their steering is the Only kit on the market to compensate for lifts and for extra droop that a lifted TJ/XJ see's, without putting the TRE at the pitman arm into a binding situation and destroying it over time. Not to mention its very beefy and Extremely popular for those that dont mind spending a little more for a higher quality part.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1219

If your on a extremely tight budget and the quality of the steering and track bar is not that as important (It should be though) as cost, then there are other kits out there. Just remember, steering and trackbar are of the highest priority, if you want trouble free driving without the front end coming out from under it, or your not wanting bumpsteer or death wobble....

You are local to Currie if your location is Loma Linda CA? If so...
Curries cost to you is total of 847$
I can do 800$ total, if you pick it up in Corona from them.

Just another higher quality option...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

do you ship to Canada - Victoria BC?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

what makes the currie set up worth that kind of $ vs others ? the drag link set up doesnt look any diff other than the metal thickness... am i missing something?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Engine: 4.8

Originally Posted by xjheep92
what makes the currie set up worth that kind of $ vs others ? the drag link set up doesnt look any diff other than the metal thickness... am i missing something?
First and foremost is the stock geometry and direct bolt on fitment. No cutting off sway bar mounts, or loosing the stabilizer, or drilling out or reaming the knuckles, or bumpsteer, or dead spot in the steering wheel. Just a direct fitment.

The second and best reason to get the Currie steering with a lift of 4-6" is the fact that the tie rod end at the pitman arm, has a 'kick' that is angled down. So at normal ride height (with a 4-6" lift) the TRE is at close to a 0deg. Meaning you can droop it much further then a reg TRE that doesnt have this kick in the end, and it wont pull its self apart and hold up the droop or articulation. This is the ONLY kit that has this taken into account, with a TRE style setup.

It is significantly thicker, and solid chromoly. Not a hollow tube, in 1040 steel.

There will be no "dead spot". Its 100% correct geometry and the TRE's are setup/designed in the correct orientation, not like the others.

But, just because something is solid chromoly or this or that. Don't think that if you are our wheeling and you are doing 1-2MPH (crawling) and you hit the tie rod into a bolder, that the tie rod wont bend, no matter what steering you have! They all will bend. You cant ask a 1.25" solid 4340 bar or even a 1" hollow DOM tube that is spanned over 30-40" to stop 4000lbs instantly.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I personally would find something else than the currie one, not only is the price high, but you're just buying a beefed up stock steering. I personally hate the stock setup, if you haul anything the toe alignment changes, if you have to big people up front the toe alignment changes. I would try and find something along the lines of the one SeriousOffroad posted with a solid link from tire to tire that won't allow the toe to change regardless of weight or lift, it's called an inverted t...the one from SeriousOffroad looks strong...there is a reason so many companys offer kits that look nothing like the stock. but if money is tight and you want a little more strength from the stock set up get a v8 zj tie rod, it's solid and 100 times better than the little stock piece
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply

But, just because something is solid chromoly or this or that. Don't think that if you are our wheeling and you are doing 1-2MPH (crawling) and you hit the tie rod into a bolder, that the tie rod wont bend, no matter what steering you have! They all will bend. You cant ask a 1.25" solid 4340 bar or even a 1" hollow DOM tube that is spanned over 30-40" to stop 4000lbs instantly.
yup bent my 1.25 DOM tie rod pretty bad from a light hit.

Originally Posted by still_alive
I personally would find something else than the currie one, not only is the price high, but you're just buying a beefed up stock steering. I personally hate the stock setup, if you haul anything the toe alignment changes, if you have to big people up front the toe alignment changes. I would try and find something along the lines of the one SeriousOffroad posted with a solid link from tire to tire that won't allow the toe to change regardless of weight or lift, it's called an inverted t...the one from SeriousOffroad looks strong...there is a reason so many companys offer kits that look nothing like the stock. but if money is tight and you want a little more strength from the stock set up get a v8 zj tie rod, it's solid and 100 times better than the little stock piece
inverted T has terrible steering feel. its like driving a wet noodle with the dead spot too. i like having some road feel. i run crossover.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been researching some as my new 00 rig has death wobble..first time ive had to deal with it. All the steering components feel tight, dont appear to have play.. I can twist my trac barn and tie rod by hand with a little effort..Will do a driveway allignment this week..Its on a ghetto rigged 2.5" lift..and previous owner claims the arms on it are 2wd xj arms..which he also claims are shorter than 4wd arms.. Think im just going to do a double sheer trac bar, and a zj tie rod when I redo the suspension.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Year: 1996

this is a pretty good thread that gives the pros and cons of both:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65546
it gives good meaning to both steering setups
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CPCP-94XJ
do you ship to Canada - Victoria BC?
Yes, but you'll need to PM your Ship-To address so I can get you a freight quote.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0 with Bomb proof mounts

Thanks for all the advice, im still between companys. I just want something where i dont have to spend much but get good ride and performance(flex). in a year or 2 i plan on doing long travel and make my own steering links and change to a diffrent axle. the ones on the serious offroad link look good tho. i might get the 1ton steering. will i have to change pitman arm? i just finished installing my new gear box and power steering pump with new lines today. so now thats done time to buy track bar and steering links. i might make some braces with some extra tube i got laying around
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Im buying the 3/4 ruff stuff cross over heim steering no more y link for me
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

What about IRO otk setup? n know it has heims, but as far as everything else it looks solid to me. I would rather have heims and a solid drag link and tie rod.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XST

Ive seen it installed on a xj with a 3" kit and the tb and drag link are parallel.