Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering is really sloppy

Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default steering is really sloppy

i have 6.5 coils and 2" spacers, crossover steering, BRAND NEW steering box. and i still have bad clop in my steering. i can have the jeep parked and just running and i can spin the steering shaft from steering wheel to steering box almost like there is play in the box but its brand new. Im also runnin 35's
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Which crossover steering do you have? Getting tie rod roll maybe?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM

rugged ridge
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Is it new, or have you been using it for some time and the problem just started?

If new, I have heard the tie rod roll on the passenger knuckle is really bad on that setup. Best suggestion is to get the poly washer like JCR offroad has, and replace the tie rod boot on the passenger knuckle tre. This seems to help a bit.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM

its newer. but also its not just that cuz I can move steering saft with hand
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

there is a nut on the top of the steering box with an allen key in the mid of it. loosen the nut and adjust the allen key. dont turn it too much, maybe an 1/8th at a time, and check your slop after you adjust it each time until you have your desired slop. if you turn it too much, you will have the touchyest steering ever, which can be dangerous.

thats prob all you need to do if all of your steering components are in good shape.

could be tie rod roll contributing too.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

While turning it with your hand, see if the box shaft is turning with it. If the box shaft isn't turning, then you probably need new steering shaft.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would put my money on it being tie rod roll from the rugged ridge kit. I've been running it for 2 years and it had slop from day one. The way it is designed inherently makes it loose. The kit was built for strength not for tight highway cruising. I found that best way to tighten it up is take the tie rod boots off and replace them with a solid rubber bushing, that way the tie rod can't roll as much and is tight against the knuckle. Other than that your best bet is to go back to a solid link from pitman arm to knuckle.

just my .02
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM

yea but I don't even need to be moving and the wheel is kinda sloppy at a sit still
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by mud_digger
yea but I don't even need to be moving and the wheel is kinda sloppy at a sit still
Exactly...tie rod roll doesn't happen only when your moving. It happens when you move move your steering wheel. Its a design flaw with all kits like that one because the drag link pushed down and pulls up on the tie rod where it's mounted which causes the tie rod to roll back and forth. It's also called a "dead spot" with crossover steering kits.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM

when I'm sittin still I can turn the steering shaft by hand and the steering box shaft moves as well but the pitman arm side of the box dont move
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hudfabxj
there is a nut on the top of the steering box with an allen key in the mid of it. loosen the nut and adjust the allen key. dont turn it too much, maybe an 1/8th at a time, and check your slop after you adjust it each time until you have your desired slop. if you turn it too much, you will have the touchyest steering ever, which can be dangerous.

thats prob all you need to do if all of your steering components are in good shape.

could be tie rod roll contributing too.
mud_digger, did u try this?....have u fixed the steering issue??

i've got a loose steering issue like u've described....i was thinkin to swap out my box completely, till i read that remedy
Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

you should check the preload on the sector shaft of the geaar box thats where ur slop is coming from yea actually now i read this, hudfabxj is what im talking about
Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I think your original problem may have been with your track bar and not your steering at all.

Then, you mentioned that with your NEW steering box you could turn the steering shaft and have the pitman arm not move. That definitely means your new steering box is a lemon. There is adjustment that can be done to an XJ steering box but, buying one new or rebuilt from an autoparts store you should not have to do that.

I'd recommend you take it back. I'd also recommend throwing that rugged ridge HD steering in the nearest ****can. A good friend of mine on this very forum had his rugged ridge HD steering come apart on him as he was driving down the road when it was brand new. Put your stock draglink back on your Jeep and get a tierod from a mid 90s V-8 ZJ. That is all the heavy duty steering you will ever need on an XJ. Also check out your trackbar ends to see if it needs adjusting or if the ball end or bushing end is worn.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
I think your original problem may have been with your track bar and not your steering at all.

Then, you mentioned that with your NEW steering box you could turn the steering shaft and have the pitman arm not move. That definitely means your new steering box is a lemon. There is adjustment that can be done to an XJ steering box but, buying one new or rebuilt from an autoparts store you should not have to do that.

I'd recommend you take it back. I'd also recommend throwing that rugged ridge HD steering in the nearest ****can. A good friend of mine on this very forum had his rugged ridge HD steering come apart on him as he was driving down the road when it was brand new. Put your stock draglink back on your Jeep and get a tierod from a mid 90s V-8 ZJ. That is all the heavy duty steering you will ever need on an XJ. Also check out your trackbar ends to see if it needs adjusting or if the ball end or bushing end is worn.
What came apart on your buddies cause it's just tube and tie rod ends? Did he use locktight like the mfg says cause it has double jam nuts and if they have locktight on them you will need a torch to get them loose. I ran the JCR version, which is basically the same but you can get it OTK and as long as everything is tight your good. BTW the ZJ tie rod is stronger but bends down and doesn't help with steering angles due to lift and the OP has 8.5".