Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering qustions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering qustions.

I have been looking around on the internet and ran across this today.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6

My question is Ive got death wobble real bad in between 45 and 55. i have checked everything and nothing is loose. ive had it aligned/ rotated the tires. Nothing has helped it. Would this kit help that in anyway. It has to be around the same price as replacing all the stock tie rod end links.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

With you being on 6.5"s of lift, I would say get it. As for the DW, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have it, something is loose. It could be the steering, and if it is, then this kit would fix it. Have you checked your ball joints?? If so, check them again....trust me, I thought my front end was tight as a drum when I had the dreaded DW, but it was shot! Do you know how to properly check BJs?? If not, jack one front wheel at a time off of the ground, have a buddy use a BF pry bar, and lift up on the tire from under it, while you watch the BJs....if there is ANY movement up and down, they are toast...there are literally a million threads on CF talking about DW, so take some time to check them out....HTH!!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
With you being on 6.5"s of lift, I would say get it. As for the DW, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have it, something is loose. It could be the steering, and if it is, then this kit would fix it. Have you checked your ball joints?? If so, check them again....trust me, I thought my front end was tight as a drum when I had the dreaded DW, but it was shot! Do you know how to properly check BJs?? If not, jack one front wheel at a time off of the ground, have a buddy use a BF pry bar, and lift up on the tire from under it, while you watch the BJs....if there is ANY movement up and down, they are toast...there are literally a million threads on CF talking about DW, so take some time to check them out....HTH!!

I have not check the ball joints or u joints in the axles. Thats on my list for today. it seems every time i take it wheeling i cant get above 45 after leaving from wheeling but a couple of miles down the road it tames back down to its manageable wobble.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, check your BJs, hub assys, slack in the steering box, or the sector shaft, tire balance, TREs, and both ends of the track bar....DW is one of those things that can be caused by a number of things, and also realize that when it is happening, it is trashing all of the things that may not be loose. DW can, and will cause damage to every moving part of your front suspension, and it can crack the unibody.....the longer it continues, the more items you will have to repair/replace...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

i had a very minimal dw. took it home and greased up all the tre's control arms track bar and ball joints. it took it away a little bit. but now it's sitting in the garage with the knuckles off and found out both lower ball joints were bad. im a weirdo though so im replacing all four of them and replacing the hubs. i can't tell any signs of wear on the hubs when driving but it's a 16 year old vehicle so it's not going to hurt to replace them.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

mine was getting the death wobble just from the tires.
swapped the tires from my tj, death wobble gone.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Year: 1999

If your upper an lower control arm bushings are old replace them ASAP. Been there done that with death wobble 2 different jeeps. Chased a ton of stuff around and both times it was the bushings uca and lca. If everything looks good start there. 40 bucks for poly bushings. Been told this by numerous experienced jeepers.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 PM

The lowers are brand new say i just put a 6.5" lift kit on it. The uppers have not been change as far i know. They are in rough shape. Ive only had the jeep about 6000 miles. It has around 158000 on it.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

You only replaced the lowers with a 6.5" lift? I'm guessing short arm but if you're running stock uppers your angles would be way off and would cause steering issues too.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Even when i was on short arms i used stock uppers on 5 inch lift camber and the whole alignment was a mess
Old 12-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
You only replaced the lowers with a 6.5" lift? I'm guessing short arm but if you're running stock uppers your angles would be way off and would cause steering issues too.
When i put the 6.5" lift on it i changed the uppers also but didn't change the bushings in the front axle mounts. Yes its a short arm kit from rough country.