Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which steering kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Which steering kit?

My XJ has developed a death wobble due to worn out TREs and drag link, and instead of replacing it with OEM stuff I feel it would be better to upgrade to something stronger.

My jeep has a 4.5" lift with 32" BFGs. It is a DD but sees wheeling every few weeks or so. I don't beat the **** out of it but I don't baby it either. I need something that is:

Safe and well-mannered on the highway
Strong on the trail
Relatively easy to install (reaming/drilling/welding is not really an option for me)

I like Iron Rock's OTK kit but it is a little pricey. Can anyone recommend else that is a little more affordable and meets my requirements?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by Strelok
My XJ has developed a death wobble due to worn out TREs and drag link, and instead of replacing it with OEM stuff I feel it would be better to upgrade to something stronger.

My jeep has a 4.5" lift with 32" BFGs. It is a DD but sees wheeling every few weeks or so. I don't beat the **** out of it but I don't baby it either. I need something that is:

Safe and well-mannered on the highway
Strong on the trail
Relatively easy to install (reaming/drilling/welding is not really an option for me)

I like Iron Rock's OTK kit but it is a little pricey. Can anyone recommend else that is a little more affordable and meets my requirements?

Thanks

Rugged Ridge kit seems a viable option for your requirements. There are definitely preferred setups out there but considering what you mentioned this would probably work well for you plus will be easiest to install

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56...FepaMgodr1YASA

of course, for just a little more you are going to get a waaay better kit that is OTK also. It does require reaming out the knuckle which you said you don't necessarily want to do.....something to think about

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ath=1231_2092&

Last edited by 2001Classic; 11-25-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

We also make a nice kit (which happens to be on sale right now).

www.jcroffroad.com
Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Strelok
My XJ has developed a death wobble due to worn out TREs and drag link, and instead of replacing it with OEM stuff I feel it would be better to upgrade to something stronger. My jeep has a 4.5" lift with 32" BFGs. It is a DD but sees wheeling every few weeks or so. I don't beat the **** out of it but I don't baby it either. I need something that is: Safe and well-mannered on the highway Strong on the trail Relatively easy to install (reaming/drilling/welding is not really an option for me) I like Iron Rock's OTK kit but it is a little pricey. Can anyone recommend else that is a little more affordable and meets my requirements? Thanks
I did this kit http://www.jeep4x4center.com/heavy-d...hdstrgcr1.html

Good price point, plenty heavy enough for my mild lift and tires. Easy to install