Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering after alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default steering after alignment.

so i just replaced my steering box with a brand new oem one, a rustys trac bar brace, a jcr trac bar brace, rustys heavy duty toe rod, rustys heavy duty drag link sleeve. went n got my alignment today and turning the wheel to drivers side is very loose, looser then it was before i replaced my steering. Turning to passanger side on the other hand is 10x tighter then it was before and way tighter then then turning drivers.

my current measurement sheets according to town fair tire.

Left front camber/Right front camber
-1.0 (red)/-0.8 (red)

Left front Caster/Right front caster
3.9 (red)/4.0 (red)

Left front tow/Right front toe
0.11 (green)/0.12 (green)

Front total toe
0.23 (green)

Front steer ahead
-0.01 (green)

would any of this have anything to do with that? if so what? i am a complete and utter newb when it comes to steering. any thoughts or ideas would help, Thanks.

Last edited by clayton3854; 03-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like you have a steering gear/pump issue to me. I would check to make sure you didn't swap your in/out lines from the pump to the gearbox (although I thought I remember them being different thread sizes to prevent that).

An alignment shouldn't cause any effect like what you are describing (unless your left-right caster is WAY messed up... like totally wrong direct type messed up)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheNerd
Sounds like you have a steering gear/pump issue to me. I would check to make sure you didn't swap your in/out lines from the pump to the gearbox (although I thought I remember them being different thread sizes to prevent that).

An alignment shouldn't cause any effect like what you are describing (unless your left-right caster is WAY messed up... like totally wrong direct type messed up)
why i put down the numbers for my caster and camber for those of you who understand what that means can toss me some input. so your thinking i need a new power steering pump, or steering gear box?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Seasoned Member

A) I think you need to evaluate what is causing your problem. I would start with those components listed. I don't recommend randomly replacing parts... just make sure you put it all back together properly when you did it the first time. Make sure you didn't cross the high/low pressure lines to the gearbox.

B) The alignment figures you posed look fine for a 3"-4" lifted XJ. I want to say that stock caster (the only thing that could possibly be affecting your steering effort) is from 5-7 degrees. The more you lift, the lower these numbers will be. I have between 3 & 4 degrees w/ a 4.5" lift.... so; again... your alignment is fine. Your problem appears (to me), to lie elsewhere.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

A) I think you need to evaluate what is causing your problem. I would start with those components listed. I don't recommend randomly replacing parts... just make sure you put it all back together properly when you did it the first time. Make sure you didn't cross the high/low pressure lines to the gearbox.

B) The alignment figures you posed look fine for a 3"-4" lifted XJ. I want to say that stock caster (the only thing that could possibly be affecting your steering effort) is from 5-7 degrees. The more you lift, the lower these numbers will be. I have between 3 & 4 degrees w/ a 4.5" lift.... so; again... your alignment is fine. Your problem appears (to me), to lie elsewhere.
well im currently at 6.5" LA and i didnt randomply replace parts i busted my steering box so while i was taking it out i decided steering box braces were needed. iv had issue after issue with my v8 zj steering so i decided it was time to upgrade to a beefier setup.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

remove drag link from pitman arm see if it still turn the same?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

dont think they can be swapped if thry were pretty sure pretty sure high pressure going thru return line would be very noticeable issue...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
dont think they can be swapped if thry were pretty sure pretty sure high pressure going thru return line would be very noticeable issue...
I didn't think they could be swapped because I thought they had different fitting sizes. I also think, based on the OP description, that there is definitely a "very noticeable issue" here...

X2 on disconnecting the drag-link from pitman. That is a good 1st step in isolating the problem. Hopefully you don't need the resistance of the steering system to re-create the issue.

Also, to OP: I am not suggesting that you have already randomly replaced parts. I'm all for your steering upgrade. I just wanted to make sure you didn't replace any MORE parts based on my wild-***-guess of what your problem is.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Year: 98

Possible you have a defective steering box.