Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
Sprintex Supercharger Power Steering Reservoir Adaptation >

Sprintex Supercharger Power Steering Reservoir Adaptation

Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Sprintex Supercharger Power Steering Reservoir Adaptation

Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Default Sprintex Supercharger Power Steering Reservoir Adaptation

Does anyone know what kind of fitting is on this power steering on the right side? I understand the hose barb, what I don't get is what kind of port/adaptor they put into the reservoir to fit it on. I'm not familiar with this area of tinkering.

It appears to be a PS reservoir from a 1995 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8 engine. They cut the nipple off that extends out and forward (that's where the Sprintex supercharger snout is) and put some sort of fitting to thread in that hose barb fitting.

My Reservoir is leaking at the port between the pump and the reservoir, and a new O-Ring didn't fix it. The plastic got torqued a little out of whack. The clowns at Majestic Motorsports in NC torque the ever living hell out of it when they installed it, like they did everything else. Stay away from those novices if you live on the East coast of NC. That's 1 of about 7 or 8 things they jacked up. They also routed the new exhaust too close to the gas tank and 8 thousand miles later a hole was melted into it after I moved back to Florida.

Anyways, I need to figure out what that port is so I can just put it on the OEM PS reservoir for future reference. Those GC reservoirs can only be bought with the whole pump and they won't be around forever since that isn't a common engine.

Below are the pictures:

5.2L V8 GC Power Steering Pump

Sprintex Power Steering Pump

Old 03-26-2019, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Those pumps are the type 2 saginaw pump. You can buy them as a stand alone pump from Summit Racing and others. You can use an integrated resevoir or a remote. It is just an O ring and then a clip that holds it on. Are you talking about the pressure line fitting by chance?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Looks like they just cut it flush and used a 90 3/8" barb to 1/4 pipe adapter.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

1/4" pipe adapter.. ... I'll google that. It was so simple I wouldn't have found it unless I spent several hours searching. I don't want to have to buy pumps, and figured I'd best learn from this so I can fix it in the future when parts are scarce.

I don't know what that pipe adapter is, but that thing is on there tight. There is 0 room to wiggle it around. Feels like it will break the plastic case it's on there so snug. Do you think a .25" pipe adapter can mount that solid?

If I can't find a fix by the end of the day I'm sawing that reservoir in half and taking whatever it is out. The thing leaks as is anyways.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM
Great White Jeep

When I say 1/4" pipe, I really mean 1/4" NPT (national pipe thread). Should be able to get one at anything like a Home Depot or Lowes. Here is what it looks like but this one is 1/8" pipe x 1/8" barb.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

I've been going to HD and Lowes frequently, especially the plumbing department (working on various fuel mods) for several years and I have never seen anything like that. That still isn't what I am looking for. I could thread something in no problem, but I am concerned about stressing out the thin plastic walls. I was thinking whatever they used (which is different from what you posted) has something that bites into the wall on the opposite side all around the perimeter to give it more durability. Although I am not sure what I am looking at on there, it seems that might be the concept of what is done as it feels sturdy.

I've threaded fittings into thick walled HDPE and it didn't hold up, so I am certain whatever was done here they didn't just thread something directly into the wall.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 AM
Great White Jeep

The bottom picture you posted has the exact fitting I said. No questions about it. But it has a nice thick area for it to thread in to. I have no doubt it will hold up fine.

In your first picture, that reservoir probably wouldn't work so great. For that you will need a "bulkhead" style fitting. One with a nut on the inside. Problem with that is you have a nut on the inside.... how are you going to get to it? Most reservoirs have baffles in them. Like 4.3 XJ said, you could get something like a Sweet or Howe pump, bolt it directly in the factory bracket and use a remote reservoir.

And a btw - both the pumps you pictured are identical to a 4th gen Camaro pump. Just the reservoirs are different.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

I ended up using the JB Weld oil-resistant black RTV silicone to seal the inside. It worked... for a while. There is a faint drip after it shuts off. It doesn't leak when running. Once the reservoir gets low enough I"m going to pour in some of that Lucas power-steering stop leak. I saw numerous videos of it stopping leaks on the YouTubes.