Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectre Cowl Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectre Cowl Intake

I saw the cowl intake mod on another thread and decided to do some digging. It looks really cool, especially the one by spectre, but is it really that great? Can you see a big difference compared to the factory crap? I like it and want to pull the trigger on it, but not if it is the same as the factory. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=spectre
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sp...talled-149439/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sp...intake-128618/
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Year: 2000

Intake by Longshot1000, on Flickr

Mine helped with engine temps during the summer months and there is definitely a "seat of the pants" difference in throttle response, but that's about it. If you want to have measurable gains, you will also need a free flowing exhaust system.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Awesome! Can't wait!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i just dont see how that will not just throw heated air right into the intake.
maybe if it was made out of abs plastic,then yeah. but just to make look pretty your gonna sacrafice performance.

Idk. i don't have one,so maybe i shouldn't ? it, but seems pretty obvious to me. It does look like it would be a small improvement.....

Am I completely wrong???? I would love to get one, but it seems like it would just be throwing more heat into the motor.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Supposedly it takes the air directed down from the windshield and from the cabin which, in theory, would be cooler and sends it to the intake.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by mdnov
Supposedly it takes the air directed down from the windshield and from the cabin which, in theory, would be cooler and sends it to the intake.
Understood, but I think he's talking about the heat the air will absorb from going through metal piping above the hot motor.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by mdnov
If I'm not mistaken that's "cowl induction" as in the hoods of that name. The spectre takes the air from the same place your hvac does. I'm pretty sure the top of the passenger side cowl is sealed, and the holes are at the bottom. The driver side cowl is open at the top.

Originally Posted by Slimgoaty

Understood, but I think he's talking about the heat the air will absorb from going through metal piping above the hot motor.
I've never put a temp sensor gun on it, but I would chalk it up to being no worse than the stock setup as far as that does. It gets a lot colder air to begin with though.

As far as performance goes, you will notice what's its doing the most at night. Earlier this week it was like 14 degrees at night, it was nasty!

To whoever is comtemplating buying one I say go for it. Its a great piece.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM

theyre loud that turned me away im waiting to see one in person and go for a ride dukies is a option aswell
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Slimgoaty
that is correct sir.

Originally Posted by DieselD
If I'm not mistaken that's "cowl induction" as in the hoods of that name. The spectre takes the air from the same place your hvac does. I'm pretty sure the top of the passenger side cowl is sealed, and the holes are at the bottom. The driver side cowl is open at the top.

I've never put a temp sensor gun on it, but I would chalk it up to being no worse than the stock setup as far as that does. It gets a lot colder air to begin with though.

As far as performance goes, you will notice what's its doing the most at night. Earlier this week it was like 14 degrees at night, it was nasty!

To whoever is comtemplating buying one I say go for it. Its a great piece.
there is no way its cooler than stock,since the stock piping is all ruber and plastic; which dicepates heat alot faster than aluminum or stainless could ever dream of.

while yes it looks pretty and performance best in the winter and i would still buy one; i just think it should have been made out of plastic or atleast be offered with ceramic coating inside and out. if i ever got one i would have that done.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mean to knock a product i've never tried. But my common sense and performance knowledge makes me wonder... "WHY IN THE HELL DID THEY MAKE THEM OUT OF METAL????"....lol.
like i said, if i had the money i would get it.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

I think it was made out of metal because plastic would be thicker and I think due to heat, the plastic would stand the chance of getting brittle. I also think that the plastic might also have brittle issues once it got cold.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

while i understand your point; i have to disagree. i'm talkin about automotive base plastics. for example the new mustangs have a plastic UPPER intake. they could have made it out of that material.

But i do understand what you are thinking.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OEJ
while i understand your point; i have to disagree. i'm talkin about automotive base plastics. for example the new mustangs have a plastic UPPER intake. they could have made it out of that material.

But i do understand what you are thinking.
Oh, I understand you now. I thought you meant something like PVC. The 2003 through 2007 and maybe later Toyota Corolla used a "composite" plastic intake. I just think they used metal to keep the cost down.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Year: 1994

Anyone ever look at where the stock intake box pulls air through? One small hole which is placed directly against a metal wall behind the headlight haha. Idk how they even run. Its a big difference in sound and performance in my opinion
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cliffdiver96
Anyone ever look at where the stock intake box pulls air through? One small hole which is placed directly against a metal wall behind the headlight haha. Idk how they even run. Its a big difference in sound and performance in my opinion
You are running one? Any MPG difference? Can you explain the "big difference in sound and performance"?

Quick Reply: Spectre Cowl Intake