Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Selection, Opinions Appreciated!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Speaker Selection, Opinions Appreciated!!

I am getting ready to tear the old heap down and redo the entire sound system; (new head unit, all new speakers). I am not going to run a sub was only going with all new coaxial speakers. I am going to take out the 5.25's and put in 6.5's all the way around (doors, hatch). I would prefer not to run an amplifier for all these so just run them off the head unit. Most likely going with one of the JVC units since it has everything in it that i want. What i was wanting was peoples "real world" experience on speakers to help with my decision making! Thanks and feel free to chime in!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

You are going to hear alot of recommendations for Fosgate, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, JBL. Disregard those unless you dont really care about sound quality.

Good speakers, look into DD, RE, DC makes some nice coax I think. Or if you have a little money, Ascendant Audio is the best bang for the buck in terms of installation and sound/loudness.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I personally prefer Boston acoustic speakers. They're a nice mid level speaker that has good sound without spending $400+ on a pair of speakers. Without an amp, you won't need anything real high end. Id just go to an audio store and listen to a few different pairs and buy the ones you think sound best.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

maybe i missed something! I looked at those and they look nice for sure but i was not wanting to run a sub at all and all those links were for subwoofer companies? Did i miss something?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

been to all the audio stores around and can't decide. I know telling someone which speakers to pick is like telling them which underwear to wear! Just in my opinion all the audio stores are a best case installation like the tvs they sell all are all set super high to make them look good, just looking for someone with a similar install see how they like the set up they have, thanks and keep the replys coming
Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Guntar13
maybe i missed something! I looked at those and they look nice for sure but i was not wanting to run a sub at all and all those links were for subwoofer companies? Did i miss something?
They arent walmart speakers, sometimes you have to call for pricing due to speakers not being listed.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Guntar13
been to all the audio stores around and can't decide. I know telling someone which speakers to pick is like telling them which underwear to wear! Just in my opinion all the audio stores are a best case installation like the tvs they sell all are all set super high to make them look good, just looking for someone with a similar install see how they like the set up they have, thanks and keep the replys coming
After listening in the store, note the model number and throw it in Google shopping or something. Kill the markup!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Year: 2001

I highly reccomend you amp them. Your deck is problably pushing like 18 watts true rms when you have the volume up. You WILL have distortion at high volumes. Amping makes a night and day difference especially with your back speakers which have a long wire run from the headunit.

Last edited by gthbryce; 02-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM

If you want to stay local and not order anything get some infinitys or polk audios. They sell them at frys etc. Check out woofersetc.com from low end speakers all the way up to Focal.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM

What's cool about the inifitys is you can pivot the tweeter which helps since the speakers are located low in the door.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by gthbryce
I highly reccomend you amp them. Your deck is problably pushing like 18 watts true rms when you have the volume up. You WILL have distortion at high volumes. Amping makes a night and day difference especially with your back speakers which have a long wire run from the headunit.
X2 on running an amp, cant remember off hand what speakers im running, they were a house brand made by harmon kardon at a fraction of the cost that the audio guy recommended, 5.25" as i didnt feel like cutting to fit bigger speakers, im also running them off a 400Watt amp which as said makes a world of difference. Previous to the amp you couldnt tell i had rear speakers, afterwards they were very noticeable.

find a smaller company to buy from, big box stores will just try to sell you the most expensive speaker they have and talk up the audio guy, preferable one that actually has a clue what they are talking about and you should be able to get on the right track for what you want.

Last edited by mud-dog27; 02-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Are you set on Coaxials? Components are much better overall. Either way for Coax's, you won't find many of the "underground" companies (AA, DC, DD, etc.) selling coax's. Honestly, I'd recommend Alpine Type R or Type X or Rockford T1s - I have run all of these at some point or another and all have exceeded my expectations. You will want a separate amp for them though, it's foolish not to get one, especially if you're redoing your audio system.

Also, I currently run DD Comps and while they're the best speakers I've owned thus far, I definitely payed a pretty penny to get that quality.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

x100 man get an amp. you'll be much more happy with the quality
if you dont want an amp, dont get a sub.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jskwibble1
x100 man get an amp. you'll be much more happy with the quality
if you dont want an amp, dont get a sub.
he doesnt want a sub, the amp is being recommended to power the speakers.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by mud-dog27
he doesnt want a sub, the amp is being recommended to power the speakers.
yup. I should really do more than just skim over the posts before opening my mouth

Quick Reply: Speaker Selection, Opinions Appreciated!!