Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft pedal after ZJ brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II
Default Soft pedal after ZJ brake swap

So I did the ZJ disc brake swap on my XJ and bled the snot outta it. All four corners like 3 or 4 times, in the correct order. Pedal was soft and did not get firmer after pumping a few times (like 6 or so). It was good enough to drive on so I took it on my road trip.

During the trip a bumpstop hit the D/S rear hard line and created a leak. I'm sick and haven't been able to deal with it so I took it to a trusted mechanic today. Line section replaced, he bled the rear again (vise grips were on the soft line from the frame)... aaand it's still as soft as it was before.

99 XJ, C8.25, brand new Centric rotors and friction, salad-refurbished backing plates, Raybestos reman calipers, new Dorman ZJ hoses, new Dorman YJ hose, new axle hard lines. No leaks that I can find.

Is this normal for some kind of components? Did I do something wrong? Or is it really just a matter of bleed it until it's good? Should I buy a vacuum bleeder? Try the gravity bleeding?

Any suggestions from people who have done this would be awesome
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

i might be able to help ya out. done both jeeps now and been running mine for 3000 plus miles. Get a vac bleeder for one, its the only way to go. you have a leak or air in the system somewhere. did you swap the guts on the porportioning valve? i know that only helps in hard braking situations but to have a "complete" swap then it needs that part too. use a suction bleeder of some type and you should get you pedal back. im willing to bet there is a bubble somewhere. the other thing to do is pump them up real good and look EVERYWHERE for a leak. sometimes just the smallest leak is hard to see unless you really look
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I love my MightyVac bleeder. Plus, you don't have to get anyone to help you.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I love my MightyVac bleeder. Plus, you don't have to get anyone to help you.
Basically sums it up for me too! A little compressed air and I'm set can flush an entire system in 15minutes or less
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Bleeder on top or bottom in rear ? if its possible ...

Last edited by freegdr; 10-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I did mine swap over a year ago. I had my wife pump the brakes & bled it that way. No issues. I did not swap out the guts in the proportioning valve.

As they say......every Jeep is different.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Seems possible......
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by freegdr
this
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

A-bleeding I shall go. I don't have any means to do compressed air, is something like this good? http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...-Kit/8050832.p

Didn't do the prop valve swap (forgot to get it from the JY), and I don't think the master reservoir ever ran empty. However I did have the Jeep sitting there with the rear hard line just open for several days.

Originally Posted by Guntar13
the other thing to do is pump them up real good and look EVERYWHERE for a leak.
Just stomp the pedal a few zillion times and then have a peek?

Originally Posted by freegdr
Good call, however that's the only way I could tell left from right once I got them out of their boxes hehe

With vise grips on the rear hose to the axle the pedal is nice and firm, maybe I'll try the hoses to the calipers for ****s and giggles

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
A-bleeding I shall go. I don't have any means to do compressed air, is something like this good? http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...-Kit/8050832.p

Didn't do the prop valve swap (forgot to get it from the JY), and I don't think the master reservoir ever ran empty. However I did have the Jeep sitting there with the rear hard line just open for several days.

Good call, however that's the only way I could tell left from right once I got them out of their boxes hehe

With vise grips on the rear hose to the axle the pedal is nice and firm, maybe I'll try the hoses to the calipers for ****s and giggles

So bleeders are on top there should be no magic need to bleeding them.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by salad

That's a good little bleeder. Handy for sure.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How exactly are you bleeding them? I found that I had to bleed mine in a way I'm not used to (granted, Ive only bled brakes maybe twice before), but I had to actually have someone step on the pedal with the bleeder screw open first and bleed that way. I've always pumped them up first and THEN released the bleeder screw, but this did not work for me when I did my ZJ disc swap.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by cruiser54
That's a good little bleeder. Handy for sure.
Alright, I'll give it a spin. Any comments on just popping the bleeder valves a bit and letting the whole thing drip for a few hours?

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
How exactly are you bleeding them? I found that I had to bleed mine in a way I'm not used to (granted, Ive only bled brakes maybe twice before), but I had to actually have someone step on the pedal with the bleeder screw open first and bleed that way. I've always pumped them up first and THEN released the bleeder screw, but this did not work for me when I did my ZJ disc swap.
I actually had helpers for this. Started off with the a one-man kit with the little bottle and hose, put a bit in the bottle, pump the brakes until the bottle's filled. Third and fourth round of bleeding we did this:

- helper indicates they are pressing
- i opened the bleeder valve, let fluid come out
- helper indicates they've hit the floor and hold it
- tighten bleeder before fluid stops
- indicate helper can release and start again

Had problems with the hoses with the kit. Eh it was $5 lol. Went through a liter or two of fluid this way.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds basically like what I did. What problems did you have with the soft hoses? I had to replace one on one side because I broke it trying to loosen the nut for the hard line.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Loosened after a while and was letting air in, also none from the kit fit onto the front bleeder screws

Quick Reply: Soft pedal after ZJ brake swap