Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so rough country,,, anyone else have real bad sag

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho
Default so rough country,,, anyone else have real bad sag

so i bought a 4,5 in lift from rc and added 2in spacers and a full add a leaf and my buddy has a rustys offroad lift and his sits almost two in higher the mine up front n he has 31s and im running 33s my rear hasnt dropped a bit but my front is just getting lower and now my ride went from great to crap up front i got the rc series two 4.5 in lift ive been really happy with it until now ive had this lift since feb.... with a 6 in lift set up n 33s can someone tell me what hieght i should hadto bottom of my jeep like at the door seal i have 32in and my buddy has 35 and he has less lift n smaller tires
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

aal's dont work well with lift springs. they are meant to be used with stock leafs. even then they dont net what they say because stock leafs are usually beat.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

stock is 6 3/4" from axle tube to bottom of the frame rail in the front

6" from axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail in the rear

anything more than that is "lift"
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
aal's dont work well with lift springs. they are meant to be used with stock leafs. even then they dont net what they say because stock leafs are usually beat.
i dont have lift springs in the rear just an aal and it works well hasnt sagged at all it gave me 4in and my rear leafs were shot! my complaint is to my front coils saggin so bad i have 4.5 in coils and a 2in spacer which is 6.5in of lift n my buddy has a rustys off road 4.5 with 31s n is sittin higher then me when i run 33s my front coils have sagged bad... i was reading n ppl say iof you dont have correct lenghth bump stops you cld over flex ur coils... could this be my problem with them sagging so much
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Honorary Moderator

if your springs bow, of you compress them to much you can indeed over flex them and cause them to sag. my Rusty's ones sagged BAD due to that reason
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
stock is 6 3/4" from axle tube to bottom of the frame rail in the front

6" from axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail in the rear

anything more than that is "lift"
i know mines lifted i installed it im jw how i have a 4.5in coils and 2in spacers running 33s and my buddy has a 4.5 in rustys off road lift with 31s and he still sits higher then me
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by scjeep69
i know mines lifted i installed it im jw how i have a 4.5in coils and 2in spacers running 33s and my buddy has a 4.5 in rustys off road lift with 31s and he still sits higher then me
I know that.... see how much it has sagged
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

your leafs will sag with an aal. i can guarantee that. as for the coils give rc a call. they will have you measure the coil outta the jeep to see if it sagged and they will most likely replace it if it has
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

wait, so your friend SHOULD be 3 inches lower than you in the front, but he is 2 inches higher? thats 5", that definitely is more than just sag. if your junk was sagging 5" in the front you would have the worlds craziest rake. Even if your tires are seriously undersized you are sagged maybe 3" which is still nuts. can we get a picture of this thing on flat road, and maybe some of the coil? Does your friend have full leafs or AAL?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
wait, so your friend SHOULD be 3 inches lower than you in the front, but he is 2 inches higher? thats 5", that definitely is more than just sag. if your junk was sagging 5" in the front you would have the worlds craziest rake. Even if your tires are seriously undersized you are sagged maybe 3" which is still nuts. can we get a picture of this thing on flat road, and maybe some of the coil? Does your friend have full leafs or AAL?
my rear sits higher then his my front is whats sagging and when i measured it hes almost an in n a half higher then mine....HE has just a 4.5in rustys off road lift with 31in mud terrians.... i have a 4.5in rough country lift with 2in spacers and shackles added with 33 in a/ts... now take in consideration his m/ts are almost the same hieght as my a/ts but still i should be atleast two in higher then em and my front is lower... sag is the only reason i could think could be the problem
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
your leafs will sag with an aal. i can guarantee that. as for the coils give rc a call. they will have you measure the coil outta the jeep to see if it sagged and they will most likely replace it if it has
ill def try calling bc the first weekend i wheeled with my new lift my rear shocks blew i called em n they sent me new rc 2.2 shocks for free be of shocks failure being there fault bc seal were blowing. rough country stands by the word ill give them that i just cant understand y they would sag so much.... i was trying to figure out if it was something i done wrong
Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by scjeep69
ill def try calling bc the first weekend i wheeled with my new lift my rear shocks blew i called em n they sent me new rc 2.2 shocks for free be of shocks failure being there fault bc seal were blowing. rough country stands by the word ill give them that i just cant understand y they would sag so much.... i was trying to figure out if it was something i done wrong
do you think you did somethng wrong maybe put up some pics for all to see the area?????
Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
do you think you did somethng wrong maybe put up some pics for all to see the area?????
i dont see what i could do wrong ive done plenty of lifts before. i installed the coils track bar brake line ext shocks coils spring retainer clip... thats about all it was to the lift ... o and lower controls arms but not im running stock control arms due to bushing shot already bc there not greasable... so yes i have 4.5 in coils and a 2in spacer on factory control arms could this be my problem?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

shorter arm pulling axle back causing spring to bow causing sag ??????????
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

those control arms have got to be more than maxed out if their the factory ones, my 90 has a 4.5 inch AAL lift from rough country and has been on there a little over a year, hasn't sagged one bit. The lower control arms are aftermarket and my uppers are factory and their pretty much maxed out. I couldn't even get my factory lower control arms back onto the jeep with the 4.5 inch lift on there. So if you have 4.5 with 2 in spacers then thats too much for the arms, are your coils centered/even with the bumpstop?

Quick Reply: so rough country,,, anyone else have real bad sag