Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel vs cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Snorkel vs cold air intake

Snorkel vs cold air intake
Looking for the pros and cons of both from people who have experience with either.

For a daily driver weekend warrior kinda XJ

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2014, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Snorkel: Expensive accessory used to remove bark from trees. Seldom removes bark....
Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just Kidding.
They work, just don't get to close to any trees or rocks with it.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I'd go with a cowl intake
Old 11-29-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Default cai vs snorkel

I have a snorkel currently on my dd weekend warrior and I can tell you that I have it sitting there for looks now because I can't remove it because of the giant hole on my fender kills the 4.0 it can't breathe destroys gas mileage and power. I just slapped a cold air intake under the hood left the snorkel there. I used to wheel deep water and puddles and mud until I was putting wheel bearing in my jeep every 2 weeks it gets old so now I'm into the trails and rocks and the power loss from the snorkel was killing me so that's my 2 cents the cowl spectra snorkel seems like it would work though short piping and cooler air
Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Cowl "snorkel" https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...snorkle-67919/

Very popular mod. Doesn't get your air intake up high but beats sucking in water through the front grille (or leaking blinker fluid). Gets actual cold air into your engine, unlike this ricer cone filter **** that's sucking air from downstream of your radiator on top of the exhaust manifold...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by salad
Cowl "snorkel" https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...snorkle-67919/ Very popular mod. Doesn't get your air intake up high but beats sucking in water through the front grille (or leaking blinker fluid). Gets actual cold air into your engine, unlike this ricer cone filter **** that's sucking air from downstream of your radiator on top of the exhaust manifold...
X2 on the cowl snorkel.

Check out this thread, there's some awesome real world info and numbers in here. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/co...veness-165025/

A conventional CIA and snorkel are polar opposites of each other. The cowl snorkel raises and moves back your air intake as well as pulls cold air. There's also plenty of info on DIY versions, although I plan on buying a spectre.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A cold air intake would suck up water off road.A snorkel or cowl intake would be safer to have.The other brand cowl intake http://shop.trailheadoffroad.ihostne...ctid=XJCI91-01
Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
X2 on the cowl snorkel.

Check out this thread, there's some awesome real world info and numbers in here. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/co...veness-165025/

A conventional CIA and snorkel are polar opposites of each other. The cowl snorkel raises and moves back your air intake as well as pulls cold air. There's also plenty of info on DIY versions, although I plan on buying a spectre.
x3 this is what i did and have zero regret
Old 11-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Year: 2000

I just looked up that spectre it's not too bad of a price and I really dig how it mounts into the firewall it looks super clean.

Link to spectre - $149 http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm
Installed - http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...38-add1-lg.jpg

Tell me that doesn't look sexy, oh wait you can't because it DOES!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by headRUSH
I just looked up that spectre it's not too bad of a price and I really dig how it mounts into the firewall it looks super clean.

Link to spectre - $149 http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm
Installed - http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...38-add1-lg.jpg

Tell me that doesn't look sexy, oh wait you can't because it DOES!
FYI, Advanced Auto carries the Spectre intake on their website. With all their frequent discounts, you can get it for much less than the Quadratec price. I think mine was $117 shipped to my door.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Hey that's great to know, because I intend on getting that in a few weeks, just gotta get new tires first.

I've got a free flow exhaust, that CAI plus the Mustang 5.0 injector swap I plan on doing I should be getting some decent power increase, and after my regear better gas mileage!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

Just realistically think what you're going to be doing with your xj. If you won't be submerging then don't get a snorkel. The odds of hydrolocking your engine via cold air intake is unlikely unless you plan on driving in deep water. Having a snorkel helps but steps must be taken to waterproof your Jeep too, your alternator which is electrical will be soaked, axle seals, gaskets, possibility of stalling, the inside of your car will be wet and smell awful haha, dropping your cellphone, etc. There are very few times in my opinion where one will NEED to cross deep water. Not to mention mirky muddy water getting in all those hard to reach places and all up in the frame rails rusting everything. That's me though, I think that mud and water are much more trouble than their worth. You can honestly get a bit of pep out of your Jeep with a cold air intake, since cherokees are toasters on wheels you won't be boosting horsepower or anything. A cowl is a clean looking mod if you're looking to free up engine space, or not have a huge snorkel, or even do some underwater wheeling and worth it if you like the look. Once again, unless water is halfway up the hood, I don't really see it as worth it. Very popular though, many people have done it and loved it, but I know I'm not going great to be underwater so I never considered it.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by headRUSH
Hey that's great to know, because I intend on getting that in a few weeks, just gotta get new tires first. I've got a free flow exhaust, that CAI plus the Mustang 5.0 injector swap I plan on doing I should be getting some decent power increase, and after my regear better gas mileage!
Hell ya sounds like you got a killer setup in the works. I also like the spectre because it eliminates the air box, leaving room for dual batteries
Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 PM

Year: 1989

Quick question. I just looked at both links that are posted for the cowl intake. They both list for 91 and up. I'm assuming that's something to do with the HO. Will this setup work on an 89?

Quick Reply: Snorkel vs cold air intake