Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snapped a TC bolt, now what

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default snapped a TC bolt, now what

i went to drop my TC crossmember and snapped the first bolt. i think my tc has had work done before (has a new process gear tag on it) and it has one bolt and one stud with a nut on each side. i broke off the one bolt. what should i do now? do i have to drill it out and tap it or can i access it through the floor?

Last edited by bnkk; 12-26-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit it with Deep Creep for a few days, then go after it with a reverse drill bit.

Maybe you will get lucky and it will back out. If not then just re tap it and go from there.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 PM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there suposed to have one bolt and one stud. if you pull the carpet theres two plugs in the floor right above the bolts but only one of them really lines up directly above the bolt. but you could atleast get to the tops of them to soak them with bp.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by d50
there suposed to have one bolt and one stud. if you pull the carpet theres two plugs in the floor right above the bolts but only one of them really lines up directly above the bolt. but you could atleast get to the tops of them to soak them with bp.

thanks. my carpet is easy to pull up so this will be nice. ill try whatever i can before i tap it.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

pulled carpet no plugs only thing there was a rivet(i pulled it thinking this must be the plug. i spent half and hour drilling it out slow and snapped a bit off in the bolt. any other suggestions? i have a 99 sport not sure if this means anything with the plugs that were mentioned. this is on the passenger side i pulled the carpet off the entire passenger floor
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Member

found out why nothing was working out. the people that worked on the transfer case put some kind of I -beam looking thins in there. i cut the floor and split the I and there is the nut to the bolt. its still hard to get to but after i get some of the metal out of the way i should be able to work on it.

anyone run into this before. its like sheet metal bent into an i-beam shape with cement on the sides (actually chips off like rock)?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by bnkk
found out why nothing was working out. the people that worked on the transfer case put some kind of I -beam looking thins in there. i cut the floor and split the I and there is the nut to the bolt. its still hard to get to but after i get some of the metal out of the way i should be able to work on it.

anyone run into this before. its like sheet metal bent into an i-beam shape with cement on the sides (actually chips off like rock)?
Yeah on my 2000' when I did a full bore floor replacement. Not sure what it is there for. Maybe extra support for the uni-body? weird.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I too broke my bolt as well as a freaking bolt extractor.....what a pita.
Care to post some pics of the floor pan removed....like to have an idea what i should be expecting.

Thx.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

I cant post pics. If you dont mind pulling up your carpet cutting a small peace out makes it easy to get to. I just put a little metal back over the hole and sheet metal screwed it down so i can access it when i drop the tc this week.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Cool.
Sounds like a fairly easy job.

Thx again.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 AM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pulled carpet no plugs only thing there was a rivet(i pulled it thinking this must be the plug. i spent half and hour drilling it out slow and snapped a bit off in the bolt. any other suggestions? i have a 99 sport not sure if this means anything with the plugs that were mentioned. this is on the passenger side i pulled the carpet off the entire passenger floor
woops sorry mines a 94 maybe theres a difference.