Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

skyjacker lift any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default skyjacker lift any good?

hey guys came across a sweet deal for a 8.5 inch lift kit from skyjacker my question is ! are they any good ? i do alot of trail riding and river crossings just so u know lol
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your "sweet deal" won't look so sweet after you see what kind of money you have to spend for a 8.5in lift...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Basically its a skyjacker rock crawler lift a guy is selling whole for five hundred dillars and comes witg everything...i looked it up and got a parts list of everything and he has it all just wanna know if tge kits any good ? O.o
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

You have to explain what parts are what, and wether or not it is a short arm or a long arm lift.

If it is the cradle sstem lift.. they have issues with the heims wearing out and failing, and are very maintenance intensive.

But for 500 bucks... it is almost a buy just on price. Keep in mind you will need a SYE, and a few other things unless they are included in that price. Brake lines.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

You need to research, 8.5" lifts are not for the faint of heart...

I took a look on Skyjackers sight and what bothers me is that they do not offer a long arm kit...

8" + on short arms will not be fun... I would not do it... simple as that

even if you bought it just to resell you would be hard pressed to resell the springs...

no one wants a 8" coil spring... and very few want a lift above 4.5"

short answer is this: if it seems too good to be true... it most likely is...
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Its skyjackers 8.5 short arm kit with drop brackets and it comes with drop pittman arm new track bar or steering bar , leafs with shackles coils quick discos and basically everything in the kit itself the only thing is ur right u should hav long arms on anything five inches or more in height but would it still work if I built long arms for it I figured het five hundred for a almost three grand kit isnt bad at all haha but yes I hav looked into the sye found one for fifty bucks from a jeep only junkyard, the only thing I saw wrong with the kit when I went to see it was the bushings need replacing and thy could use some paint haha but I figured the price was good so why not .
Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Is this the kit that has the axle cradle too? If so it is kinda a MId arm lift... not a true short arm, but definately not a Long arm. I dont want to tell you what to do, but pics would help.

Also if you feel it is a good deal get it.. and tells us how it works out.. and be honest.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PingPong
Is this the kit that has the axle cradle too? If so it is kinda a MId arm lift... not a true short arm, but definately not a Long arm. I dont want to tell you what to do, but pics would help.

Also if you feel it is a good deal get it.. and tells us how it works out.. and be honest.
It's not RK though... hilosoraptor:
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
It's not RK though... hilosoraptor:

It isnt... and your point is. It is still a decent deal if it is the kit I think it is. I guess you are hung up on the fact that I prefer that brand of Long arms over others I guess you havent read my post about different lifts I have run.. and what Rk parts I actually use.

If it is the SKy jacker kit with the frame and axle craddles this was one of the first kits to actually address a lot of the design issues with the xj's 4 link. It came out in like 03 /04 time frame. There were a lot of issues with the hiems, but it was a decent design. By todays standards it sucks, but in o3/o4 it was the bomb-digity.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

let me see if this works for u ping pong. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ch...-kit-8inch.htm

Im probly gonna get it just for the deal and then slowly get to putting it on so far i hear skyjackers lift kits are the smoothest and to be honest mines a dd mostly when i wheel its mainly up in the mountains on trails and the occasional river crossing witch my last attempt was bad so i needed more lift and found this deal to me anyway and wanted to get the opinions from the members on this awesome website!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

That is the kit I was thinking it was. Like I said only down side I have ever heard about this.. was the heims need maintenance. You need to swuirt the joints with 3-1 oil like every 1k miles.. or they will wear fast.

A guy Johnathan in the club had this setup... and he went through 3 sets of heims before he figured out the oil thing.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the advice ping pong really appreciate it alot man thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PingPong
It isnt... and your point is. It is still a decent deal if it is the kit I think it is. I guess you are hung up on the fact that I prefer that brand of Long arms over others I guess you havent read my post about different lifts I have run.. and what Rk parts I actually use.

If it is the SKy jacker kit with the frame and axle craddles this was one of the first kits to actually address a lot of the design issues with the xj's 4 link. It came out in like 03 /04 time frame. There were a lot of issues with the hiems, but it was a decent design. By todays standards it sucks, but in o3/o4 it was the bomb-digity.
I was just joking man.
I liked you posts in that other thread, because they were more informative, than in my thread where you were just ****ting on everything that wasn't RK.