Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

simple immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242
Default simple immobilizer

So I've decided to put a simple hidden kill switch on my jeep, just for some peace of mind. I want to put it on the ignition system so i can kill the engine instantly by kicking/swatting at it if i happen to get car jacked(I have a good tendency of preparing for the worst situations).

So anyways, what would be the BEST way to do this with a simple switch? I looked at the wiring diagram for my jeep ('92 4.0), and the best option i see is putting the switch on the dark blue wire from the "RUN" slot on the ignition switch. BUT i want the opinions of people who know what the hell they are doing first, so i don't end up frying my computer or something of equal importance.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

I'm too young lol, 3 years before that can happen. I do keep a knife there though.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Year: 1998

as far as car jacking goes do you really want to be stuck looking the jacker eye to eye when your vehicle shuts off, wouldnt it be better to let him leave thereby reducing the chance of bodily injury.As an anti theft measure maybe, but anti car jacking deterrant , sounds like a bad idea
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

It's to act as both, and if he hears the jeep shut off (It's straight piped) he'll more than likely take off. I always have a knife and have martial arts training, so sucks for him lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L, I6

Originally Posted by willsmysticcobra
Best answer! I'm in Arizona, where laws are very lenient though... honestly,If I didn't have a gun with me... I'd rather lose my Jeep than lose my life. Although its a pretty close bet.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Not bashing any ones Cherokee or anything cause I feel the same about mine, is a car jacker really going to take a Cherokee? I know there stupid and all but if your going to steal something take something worth more than a few thousand. If you wanted to take it to a chop shop theyll probably laugh cause there's a bazillion in the junk yards with cheap parts. Your real car jacking prevention is lock the doors. Thief's are lazy that's why they steal.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Wire a switch inline to the fuel pump relay. I'd do the same if I lived in greeley, and should anyways since I drive doorless in the summer
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Search and destroy
Not bashing any ones Cherokee or anything cause I feel the same about mine, is a car jacker really going to take a Cherokee? I know there stupid and all but if your going to steal something take something worth more than a few thousand. If you wanted to take it to a chop shop theyll probably laugh cause there's a bazillion in the junk yards with cheap parts. Your real car jacking prevention is lock the doors. Thief's are lazy that's why they steal.
they target Cherokee's that have loads of mods, which they can strip off and sell. Mine isn't worth stealing, but i plan on dumping a load of money into it.

And adding onto the carjacking situation, it's a manual. SO if i can't get away i'm most likely gonna pop the clutch and stall it (By accident when i get pulled out), then the kill switch would prevent them from restarting it. And to add even more reason, i plan ongoing doorless(Possibly next summer)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang

they target Cherokee's that have loads of mods, which they can strip off and sell. Mine isn't worth stealing, but i plan on dumping a load of money into it.

And adding onto the carjacking situation, it's a manual. SO if i can't get away i'm most likely gonna pop the clutch and stall it (By accident when i get pulled out), then the kill switch would prevent them from restarting it. And to add even more reason, i plan ongoing doorless(Possibly next summer)
I still don't see you ever having a problem doorless or not.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

lol, put it this way. I live in an area with a high crime rate, and cars get stolen in my neighborhood far to often for me to not do this.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Why not just do a battery disconnect? The one with the key, make it where you can reach it from underneath without having to pop the hood. At night pull the key in the morning just put it back it. It wires into the + for the battery and kills all power when off
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Originally Posted by wiggles
Why not just do a battery disconnect? The one with the key, make it where you can reach it from underneath without having to pop the hood. At night pull the key in the morning just put it back it. It wires into the + for the battery and kills all power when off
X2. I planned on doing it this way.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

It could be mounted on the inner fender on the passenger side and i bet could be reached from underneath
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Originally Posted by wiggles
It could be mounted on the inner fender on the passenger side and i bet could be reached from underneath
Wiggles,

Would running a 4-6gauge wire and splice into the main power wire to extend it into the cab be an issue? I was thinking about running it under the drivers dash so i can pull it as soon as i get out of the jeep without having to walk around or any more extensive work.

Quick Reply: simple immobilizer