Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks and Springs for a Long Travel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question Shocks and Springs for a Long Travel Setup

Ok guys I'm sure there are threads out there that are very similar to this, but I'm looking for advise on my situation specifically (also I'm somewhat new to suspension but I've been learning everything I can).

I own a mostly stock '96 with a rubicon express 3 inch lift+some rock sliders. It has come time to add some frame stiffeners and I figured while i have the whole suspension apart I might as well do a long arm upgrade as well (IRO rock link). I plan on doing an IRO rear coil swap in the somewhat near future and that requires a minimum 4in lift so I'm going to increase the lift in the front to 4in. This whole thing has snowballed and I'm finding myself pretty overwhelmed with all the suspension options as I want to maximize performance(flex) for the lift I'm putting on. I don't want any components limiting each other. I think I want to go with a pretty droopy long travel set up for the rocks.

Here's where I need help:
Dual rate springs-are they any good and if so what length and spring rate are gonna get me close to ar slightly above a 4 inch lift? Brand?
If not dual rate, what constant rate springs do you recommend?
Shocks-Size and length to maximize travel with the given springs? What brands do you have experience with and recommend?

Please keep in mind that my budget is somewhat limited so I dont need top of the line fox racing shocks or anything

I know this is kinda a lot and I appreciate any input. Thank you for your time and happy jeepin!

-Cameron
Old 10-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1) get the size tire you want to run on your rig 2) bumpstop 3) measure shock length on the wheels front and rear that are stuffed 4) buy the best and longest travel shocks you can afford at that compressed length. The rest of it will be getting the right parts under there to take advantage of those long shocks and watch it stretch.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:03 PM

Thanks a ton! That was the simple explanation I was looking for
Old 10-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Anybody happen to know of any long travel shock mounts for the front of an xj? I know the unibody's pretty thin.