Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shake,shake ,shake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default shake,shake ,shake

Good morning all. I have a question that I am hoping to get help with.
I searched the forums for a while and found nothing like this.
I recently put in a 2 " lift and am chasing what seems to be a drive-line shake somewhere, replaced u-joints,installed a transfer case drop and had an alignment and tire balance done,I still have them. now something new is happening, when i am at speed (approx 55 mph) and press the brake lightly my steering wheel shakes from side to side pretty bad. my first thought is that my rotors are warped but there is no pulsing at low speeds and it does not shake like this every time I slow down, it is intermittent. could these be related? I am confused and sick of putting money into it on a weekly basis.
BTW most of the front end is new, tie rods,tie rod ends (not sure what all of the bars are called but replaced them as well) ball joints,u-joints.
thanks for any help or suggestions I get.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Year: 1996

Shaking while braking certainly sounds like warped rotors. Although could be something else. I would get those rotors cut or replaced. Just to be sure....and new pads while ur at it. Then see if it shakes while braking. It does suck putting money into ur ride every week. Trust me I know. I have an XJ and a 93 metro. Both need work all the time....mainly the XJ tho. But to me its better then a car payment. And high insurance. Hope you figure this out. GL
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM

would the rotors have any bearing on my driveline shake (guessing)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

If your toe-in is too far out of spec you'll be able to see it by standing at a distance looking at the front end. That'll make your tire wobble when your front end is under the pressure of braking. The alignments I've had in my area have been a waste of money, so you might DIY. Should be an 1/8" closer in the front or so.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have the alignment done in a shop?? Did they set it to stock setting or to a setting to match the lift? Swap tires front to rear, does the vibration change? Inspect brake caliper slides for pitting or binding, have rotor runout checked. Re-check torque on all front end Bolts. Were shock upgraded to match the lift?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Year: 1988-1990

Sounds like loose trac bar or bad bushings in the trac bar.Stand in front of the jeep and some one else turn the steering wheel side to side with it not running and watch to see if stuff is moving.Watch the trac bars and pitman arm.Then jack up each front tire and shake it to see if maybe a bad unit bearing grab top of tire and pull and push to check it.Hope this helps and good luck.....
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by popcancherokee
Sounds like loose trac bar or bad bushings in the trac bar.Stand in front of the jeep and some one else turn the steering wheel side to side with it not running and watch to see if stuff is moving.Watch the trac bars and pitman arm.Then jack up each front tire and shake it to see if maybe a bad unit bearing grab top of tire and pull and push to check it.Hope this helps and good luck.....
Go advise except for the standing part. You can not see the movement in the joints unless you can see the joints. If the trackbar was loose enough to SEE it by standing in front of the Jeep the Death Wobble would likely live up to the nickname.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Year: 1988-1990

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Go advise except for the standing part. You can not see the movement in the joints unless you can see the joints. If the trackbar was loose enough to SEE it by standing in front of the Jeep the Death Wobble would likely live up to the nickname.
My jeep is tall enough to stand and see it but i guess some have to kneel to see....corrected...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Yes a shop did the alignment,not sure how they set it at(stock or lifted) I did put new shocks in but the lift came with shock extensions.I have not switched front tires to the back. I know the caliper due show some wear.