Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Long Arm Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default Serious Long Arm Kit

Hey everyone! for about 6 months now I have been looking through the forum to give me an idea of what we want to do with our XJ. Right now it has a 6.5 in crap lift on it which has 3 in blocks in the rear. It has death wobble and I am going to install a higher quality lift since we plan on keeping this for a fun vehicle for awhile. After a lot of research I keep coming back to Serious Offroad's lift kit and have yet to hear any complaints. I don't mind the price stand point because I rather get high quality parts now and not have to keep replacing cheap parts. Plan on running 33's for awhile and then upgrading to 35's way down the road when I will do an axle swap and gear change to 4.88.
So question is what are yall's thoughts or experience on the serious offroad's 5.5in long arm kit?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know about that kit but have purchased from Serious Offroad a few times. I've had pre-sales and post-sales questions and very happy with the help I received.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
I don't know about that kit but have purchased from Serious Offroad a few times. I've had pre-sales and post-sales questions and very happy with the help I received.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ive heard nothing but good things about serious offroad's kit and customer service. Their pricing is very competitive as well. I've been eyeballing that kit and clayton as well.

Youll get 10 different answers about what long arm kit you should get.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Ive heard nothing but good things about serious offroad's kit and customer service. Their pricing is very competitive as well. I've been eyeballing that kit and clayton as well.

Youll get 10 different answers about what long arm kit you should get.
Yea I figured with the long arm part since everyone has their own opinion and some may say radius arms are fine while others only get 3 link. I was between these long arms and cab fab but the reason why I was leaning towards this is it has everything I need and not too bad of a price.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by crazymikez

Yea I figured with the long arm part since everyone has their own opinion and some may say radius arms are fine while others only get 3 link. I was between these long arms and cab fab but the reason why I was leaning towards this is it has everything I need and not too bad of a price.
The problem with radius arms is they have a tendency to "unload" the suspension when doing hill climbs, this is usually caused by using bad shocks and low spring rate coils. However tons of people run radius arms without serious issues, but ideally a 3/4 link is a better design. Just food for thought.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
The problem with radius arms is they have a tendency to "unload" the suspension when doing hill climbs, this is usually caused by using bad shocks and low spring rate coils. However tons of people run radius arms without serious issues, but ideally a 3/4 link is a better design. Just food for thought.
Thank you for your thoughts. I've done a lot of research mostly here and went from wanting IRO long arms to wanting a 3 link. I think for me I would personally rather have a 3 link design.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

I would recommend looking at the CavFab 3 link if you want quality.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I went with the Clayton 4.5 inch longarm and am very happy with it. I am not an extreme crawler by any stretch, but I wanted something better than short arms and wanted something with some beef.

If I ever decide to make my XJ a trail only rig, I will upgrade to a 3 link for certain.

IRO is interesting because it basically has a mixture of both. I have read some horror stories about the IRO setup, but only from folks that don't have it. Most folks that have it seem to like it.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 PM

I have the IRO 4" LA kit but if the Cav Fab kit was a thing back when I was in the market that is what I would have chose. Nothing against IRO, I do like the 3 piece crossmember a whole lot. I've had no problems with it besides dropping the drivers side long arm on my face during the install and getting a couple stitches ��
Old 11-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zach00XJ
I have the IRO 4" LA kit but if the Cav Fab kit was a thing back when I was in the market that is what I would have chose. Nothing against IRO, I do like the 3 piece crossmember a whole lot. I've had no problems with it besides dropping the drivers side long arm on my face during the install and getting a couple stitches ��
Ouch! That you for the advice! I really like the cav fab kit I've been looking at it a lot and then saw serious offroads. If possible I would probably get the cav fab long arms but then have everything else in serious offroads kit except long arms
Old 11-02-2016, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Serious offroad is a nice complete long arm kit if you want everything in one shot. That being said, CavFab 3-link is awesome! I have his original 3-link design (well thought out beefy setup), but haven't installed it yet (weather, obligations, and procrastination). He's currently working on a high clearance setup that has a removable center section in the crossmember. I'm probably gonna end up swapping to that when it's available.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Serious offroad is a nice complete long arm kit if you want everything in one shot. That being said, CavFab 3-link is awesome! I have his original 3-link design (well thought out beefy setup), but haven't installed it yet (weather, obligations, and procrastination). He's currently working on a high clearance setup that has a removable center section in the crossmember. I'm probably gonna end up swapping to that when it's available.
Completely forgot that cavfab is now doing the removable center section with no extra cost for awhile really need to look into doing that one.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by crazymikez
Completely forgot that cavfab is now doing the removable center section with no extra cost for awhile really need to look into doing that one.
Do it! You won't be disappointed!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:50 PM

Year: 1995

I just ordered the Cavfab 3 link with the free upgrade to the Alpha series. I really like the version they have out now and am sure the Alpha series will be worth the wait. I have had the TNT longarm (radius arm) kit on a previous jeep and didnt like the unloading characteristics of that style but it flexed amazingly well. I am confident the Cavfab 3 link long arm will flex just as well without the unloading characteristics of the radius arm style.

Last edited by winksjeep; 11-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.