Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rusted shackle mounts. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default rusted shackle mounts. need help!

Hey guys my name is Nate and I am new to cherokee forum.
Let me start off by telling you my plans for my xj. Im going with a 6 1/2 rough country lift on 35" bfg mud terrains. I want all the body armoe and skid plates regeared and locked axles with chromolly shafts. I want it all and im ready to pay the price. This baby will see it all froms casual woods trails, mud, rocks, but also pavement because for now this is gunna be my dd.

Okay so here's the deal. I was so pumped to build this thing I think I rushed it to much when I bought it. I bought a 96 classic with 110k drives good. The floor boards were all rusted through but I figured it wasn't a big deal. But when I started to get to wrenching and doing the lift I noticed some more. The leaf spring mounts where the lift shackles go are rusted. On both sides the rear corner of the floor (like under the tail lights) is completley rusted through. On the passenger side the mount itself can be broken off and also there is a spot on the frame rail that is rusted.
I did some research and alot of it says find a new xj. Im in to much money for that to be an option, besides I hate the idea of giving up on any xj. I have acess to a car lift, grinders all kinds of metal and a buddy who is a great welder. I need to replace floors anyway.

What can I do? Any help at all is greatly apreciated? I can post pics later.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Pics will help, but most anything can be repaired if you're willing to do it. Might take major surgery, but it's do-able.

That being said, sounds like you have major rust isseus, and will likely find more once said surgery begins.

If you're already into it too deep $-wise, does dumping more money into it make sense? Chances are high that the value's not going to increase dramtically even once the rust is fixed.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

I can get pics up in a few hrs.

I work in a machine shop, so getting metal and getting it cut to exact sizes is reletivley easy and cheap for me. I have acces to the car lift and the welder and a friend that welds for a living. So welding wont be to expensive either.

I plan on keeping this jeep as long as possible so to me it makes sense to fix everything right and evn better then new. Is this thought a bad one?

The thing is the jeep is not at the welder right nowand but I can also get a tow free of charge so my question is should I get it towed and do all everything now while its stock or can I put the lift in and tow it there after as long as I don't drive it?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

put the lift on there, it makes more sense to do it while you have the shop to use.

Also, if the rust is too bad you'll need to make a decision because unless you have the extra money to be puttin in it to make it "better than new" you'll need to realize if its worth the work on a rustbucket or to wait and get another sometime. jmo
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Okay il see what I can do about gwtting some pics up in a bit.

Im gunna god ahead and have the jeep brought to the shop and start my surgery tomorow. I will keep taking pics and posting as I do this. I would like to do everything I can to save this jeep
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

remember, it's a jeep...doesn't have to be expensive and pretty to fix...just get it done right
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

The best way to go about this would probably be to box the inside of the framerails as far in as possible (2x4x3/16 tube fits perfect), then repair the metal on the rear header as well as possible, and rebuild the shackle mount box.