Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubicon quick disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rubicon quick disconnects

anyone else having a problem breaking quick release pins??... i broke the first one from rubicon... and i have broke 2 that i have made with in a day of each.... not sure what is going on..
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L HO V8

gotta be on level ground
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like an angle is off. I ran mine for several years with the pins that came with them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Extend those bad boys. They're probably too short. I've run mine for about 3-4 years no prob
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM

will try that
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

I still for the life of my can't figure out why people run disconnects. I don't mean to start anything but it just doesn't make any sense. Sorry.

My brother has a wrangler tj. Full coils. He has a 4in lift and 35's. We removed the front and rear swaybars. He says it drives great and he can't believe anyone would get disconnects?

My advise would be to ditch them.

Then you won't have to mess with anything.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 PM

BTW... i care for my self my passengers and anyone driving next to me... the kid crossing the street or the dog chasing a ball...... if it cost me 100+ bucks to have the peace of mind i can drive down the road knowing if i need to make a sudden move.. to me that is money well spent

and this wasn't asking for advise on how to make my car less safe
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mehoff_400
BTW... i care for my self my passengers and anyone driving next to me... the kid crossing the street or the dog chasing a ball...... if it cost me 100+ bucks to have the peace of mind i can drive down the road knowing if i need to make a sudden move.. to me that is money well spent

and this wasn't asking for advise on how to make my car less safe

I care equally for my family. Never would I suggest anything that was dangerous at all.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I still for the life of my can't figure out why people run disconnects. I don't mean to start anything but it just doesn't make any sense. Sorry.

My brother has a wrangler tj. Full coils. He has a 4in lift and 35's. We removed the front and rear swaybars. He says it drives great and he can't believe anyone would get disconnects?

My advise would be to ditch them.

Then you won't have to mess with anything.
I have to disagree completely with you on this. I ran no sway for a while after doing some undercarriage work because I figured they were unnecessary. Ended up having to slam on the brakes one day doing about 45-50mph and the entire truck strongly pulled from side to side like a tug of war. I put the front back on after that. Not only does it affect braking, but there's a difference with simple driving and if the driver ever had to swerve quickly. Every suspension is different, but for a cherokee I think it's smarter and safer to run one if the vehicle sees road time. I'm sure the physics of your buddy's wrangler are far different than our trucks, especially being that the truck is much smaller, big tire, probably less flexy, etc.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM

There isn't really that much difference with driving connected or disconnected but that's under normal driving. The second you swerve your gonna be thinking differently.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

I have to disagree completely with you on this. I ran no sway for a while after doing some undercarriage work because I figured they were unnecessary. Ended up having to slam on the brakes one day doing about 45-50mph and the entire truck strongly pulled from side to side like a tug of war. I put the front back on after that. Not only does it affect braking, but there's a difference with simple driving and if the driver ever had to swerve quickly. Every suspension is different, but for a cherokee I think it's smarter and safer to run one if the vehicle sees road time. I'm sure the physics of your buddy's wrangler are far different than our trucks, especially being that the truck is much smaller, big tire, probably less flexy, etc.
Already done that. My brother and I both. In fact the one time I had to do an emergency swerve about 20 years ago I was in my cj7 with 36in tires and no sway bars. LOL

There is a video of me on this forum trying to get my jeep to slide sideways with no sway bars. I tried on pavement and on dirt. Handles just fine

Guess my brother and I have abnormal jeeps LOL.

I think we have a difference in what we tolerate. If you feel unsafe with them off then fine. Don't need to be driving uncomfortable with your jeep.

Some of us drive totally fine with them disconnected. And for us its safe and fine. Each to his own. No big deal.

Last edited by holycaveman; 11-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Possible, also keep in mind I'm running a 5 and a half on 33's so my cog probably plays a major role in it. I would actually be curious to see how a low cog setup on a cherokee would feel with no sways in comparison. However just off general knowledge and reasoning I'd still have to think wranglers are entirely different just because of their geometry.

It's feels cool sometimes runnin no sways, feels like I'm driving a prerunner
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Year: 1998

holycaveman, you clearly have a firm opinion that cherokees don't need the swaybars and for anyone else to try and convince you otherwise would be a waste of breath. Like CrawlinPepper said earlier, some suspencion setups act differently than others. If you have softer springs and shocks, you're going to get a lot more body roll and shift. In these cases, swaybars are a good idea. Plenty of guys on here that have a more firm suspencion setup say that discos aren't necessary.

Back to the thread topic: Mehoff, I agree with XJTim, extended those little fellas and see how it does. When I first installed mine, I had an issue where they would start to twist where they mount to the swaybar (It wasn't bad enought to break the pin). I extended them and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Happy Trails!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ Mayhem
holycaveman, you clearly have a firm opinion that cherokees don't need the swaybars and for anyone else to try and convince you otherwise would be a waste of breath. Like CrawlinPepper said earlier, some suspencion setups act differently than others. If you have softer springs and shocks, you're going to get a lot more body roll and shift. In these cases, swaybars are a good idea. Plenty of guys on here that have a more firm suspencion setup say that discos aren't necessary.

Back to the thread topic: Mehoff, I agree with XJTim, extended those little fellas and see how it does. When I first installed mine, I had an issue where they would start to twist where they mount to the swaybar (It wasn't bad enought to break the pin). I extended them and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Happy Trails!

Well i know people pretty well. 8)

But like i said, you have to be comfortable with your jeep. And i don't want to steer anyone away from that. One the other hand you never know until you try it for yourself.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by holycaveman
Well i know people pretty well. 8)

But like i said, you have to be comfortable with your jeep. And i don't want to steer anyone away from that. One the other hand you never know until you try it for yourself.
Agreed!

Quick Reply: rubicon quick disconnects