Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough country tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 IL
Thumbs down Rough country tie rod ends

just lifted my 2000 Cherokee with the rough country 6.5 x series kit. it all went on pretty smooth but I've only driven about 60 miles and there seems to be a 1/4" of play in my tie rod end on my track bar and the bolt is still tight. i already called rough country and there sending me a new one free of charge.

just wondering if anyone else had any problems like this with rough country products?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I thought the 6.5" kit had a heim on the track bar not a tie rod end.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM

That's what mine looks like it came already but together though an all i had to do was bolt it on so i'm not sure what exactly it is. That's what i referred to it as when i called them and they didn't correct me so i just figured i was right they looked up my OG order number so they knew what i ordered
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Ryan got a xj

That's what mine looks like it came already but together though an all i had to do was bolt it on so i'm not sure what exactly it is. That's what i referred to it as when i called them and they didn't correct me so i just figured i was right they looked up my OG order number so they knew what i ordered
There is an upgraded TRE you can get from NAPA. Its much beefier than the original one. PN: ES140R
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I agree as well, RC's supplied TREs are crap. One was shot after ~1500 miles, they sent a replacement and that was junk after a single wheeling trip. Just get a Moog or other quality replacement.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Engine: 4.0l i6

Originally Posted by Ryan got a xj
just lifted my 2000 Cherokee with the rough country 6.5 x series kit. it all went on pretty smooth but I've only driven about 60 miles and there seems to be a 1/4" of play in my tie rod end on my track bar and the bolt is still tight. i already called rough country and there sending me a new one free of charge.

just wondering if anyone else had any problems like this with rough country products?
Ya u don't want track bar and/or tre from RC look at iron rock offroad... RC will give you death wobble
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by Dan91
I agree as well, RC's supplied TREs are crap. One was shot after ~1500 miles, they sent a replacement and that was junk after a single wheeling trip. Just get a Moog or other quality replacement.
The PN I gave actually is a Moog part number in a NAPA box. Lol
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys.

... is there anything else i should watch out for with these lifts?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

Originally Posted by Scott0821
Ya u don't want track bar and/or tre from RC look at iron rock offroad... RC will give you death wobble
So you know for a fact that a RC trackbar will give you DW?.....Or maybe your just regurgitating what you have read on the internet....Or maybe it was a single experience that you had..... Which ever it was doesnt give you the right to talk bad about a company like that....SMH
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by brookhart63

So you know for a fact that a RC trackbar will give you DW?.....Or maybe your just regurgitating what you have read on the internet....Or maybe it was a single experience that you had..... Which ever it was doesnt give you the right to talk bad about a company like that....SMH
Loose or worn suspension components or bearings cause DW. The only way a track bar would cause DW is if the bushing or TRE is worn.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by brookhart63
I don't know about death wobble but the product I PERSONALLY have seen, installed and wheeled were cheaply made and poor quality. I currently don't have any of their product on my rig and don't plan on putting any on. And some say their customer service is good and I have to disagree on that one as well. After my buddys crossmember broke at the welds he was told he abused it and it was his fault so tough. I was there for that call as well so I know what was said. There are plenty of people bashing them and a good many of them have reason but I will admit I'm sure some are just repeating what they have heard. I'm not one of those people.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

Originally Posted by xjmarc
I don't know about death wobble but the product I PERSONALLY have seen, installed and wheeled were cheaply made and poor quality. I currently don't have any of their product on my rig and don't plan on putting any on. And some say their customer service is good and I have to disagree on that one as well. After my buddys crossmember broke at the welds he was told he abused it and it was his fault so tough. I was there for that call as well so I know what was said. There are plenty of people bashing them and a good many of them have reason but I will admit I'm sure some are just repeating what they have heard. I'm not one of those people.
So making a blanket statement is justified for this reason? No.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Engine: 4.0l

I have their X-series also but in the 4.5" variety and I love it, rides fine for me and seems to be good quality. Developed DW yesterday, because I'm cheap and was getting my use out of the factory Trac-Bar and the lower bushing finally gave out......Ordered their upgraded Trac-Bar with the new mount and customer service seemed to be on the up and up
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L6

Sorry to hijack OP but iv got the RC 4"-6" track bar to but mine has the heim joint but its needs to be replaced i was going to call rc tomorrow but would it be better to just put my OEM TB frame bracket back on and get one of those ES140R replacement TRE or keep the HD frame bracket and get a Rustys TB loop end http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-end-3-4.html/
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM

I think Im gonna stick with the track bar for now and buy a TRE of better quality that will fit it . anyone want the rc replacement one there sending me?? haha

and there customer service has been on point every time i called so far i ordered my lift directly from them as well as my steering stabilizer SYE and drive-shaft.

Quick Reply: Rough country tie rod ends