Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Flex Joints Worn

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rough Country Flex Joints Worn

I have a 4.5 RC X series kit that was put on about 500 miles ago. I have the adjustable upper and lower control arms with the flex joints. After about 200 miles I noticed a loud clunking sound in the floor boards. I did a check and the flex joints on the controls arms upper and lower were worn out on the drivers side. No big deal, called up RC and told them the issue and they sent me a rebuild kit for both sides upper and lower. Replaced just the drivers side and tada, no more clunking. After about 100 miles I start hearing it from the passenger side. Rebuilt passenger side and wouldn't you know, no more noise. All is fine for about 150 more miles and drivers side is making noise at the control arm again. Is this normal for these bushings to go out this fast or is there a bad batch of polyurethane bushings going around? They were all properly greased with synthetic grease like they recommend and everything was properly aligned at an alignment shop. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Wouldn't mind calling up currie and getting some johnny joints but would need to get proper sizing. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

i've heard their bushings are awful, but they shouldn't be going out THAT fast. I'd give them another call and figure out whats going on, or buy better bushings from somewhere else
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Pics of failed parts please.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by rweaver138
i've heard their bushings are awful, but they shouldn't be going out THAT fast. I'd give them another call and figure out whats going on, or buy better bushings from somewhere else
Any suggestions on new bushings?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Badmunky
Pics of failed parts please.
Pic won't give you anything to work with. They look fine but, it is as if the bushing kind of breaks in and doesn't stay tight around the joint.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Are these poly bushings.. or flex joints? I have a couple of questions.. if they are poly bushings. ARe you installing the sleeve inside bushing? Are you using the right size bolt? Lastly are you tightening it correctly? ANy of these conditions can cause failure....If the problem continues.. I would switch suppliers.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by PingPong
Are these poly bushings.. or flex joints? I have a couple of questions.. if they are poly bushings. ARe you installing the sleeve inside bushing? Are you using the right size bolt? Lastly are you tightening it correctly? ANy of these conditions can cause failure....If the problem continues.. I would switch suppliers.
They are RC's "FlexJoints", or a very close resemblance to curries johnny joints. Here is a link, http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html
They are made out of what seems to be polyurethane.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Gotcha.. are you adjusting them properly when you assemble them... they have PLastic/delrin pieces on the outer part of the flex ball.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Ive had mine on for right at 5,000 miles so far and have no problems. Maybe you got a bad batch
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PingPong
Gotcha.. are you adjusting them properly when you assemble them... they have PLastic/delrin pieces on the outer part of the flex ball.
I grease them and tighten it until the two bushings hold the joint in place, then tighten to the next notch in the spanner nut to lock it in place. Is there another way to adjust it? All it comes with is a snap ring and a washer for the one side of the joint, then two urethane bushings, a joint and a spanner nut to squeeze it all together. I don't know of this plastic delron piece you are talking about. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

IIRC There should be a torque spec for those. I had to rebuild my RE flex joints and remember calling customer service to get the specs.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

get sum from rustys
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by westvalleyxj
I grease them and tighten it until the two bushings hold the joint in place, then tighten to the next notch in the spanner nut to lock it in place. Is there another way to adjust it? All it comes with is a snap ring and a washer for the one side of the joint, then two urethane bushings, a joint and a spanner nut to squeeze it all together. I don't know of this plastic delron piece you are talking about. Maybe I'm missing something.
See post below

Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
IIRC There should be a torque spec for those. I had to rebuild my RE flex joints and remember calling customer service to get the specs.
Exactly

Originally Posted by lolz_jeep
get sum from rustys
Really come on... he has a RC product.. not a CRUSTY's Item.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by lolz_jeep
get sum from rustys
x2
Old 04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Originally Posted by Daltonamorph
Ive had mine on for right at 5,000 miles so far and have no problems. Maybe you got a bad batch
same here.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Flex Joints Worn