Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough country bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rough country bushings

So I have been noticing this really weird movement in my front end lately. Thought it was something to do with my brakes cuz it only happens in reverse when applying the brakes an letting off. If you sit an play with the brakes you can make it do it constantly. Well yesterday I had someone back it up while I watched. The whole axle rocks back and forth!!!! Sure enough the control arms have about a 1/4" north/south play in them. I just put this lift on at the end of march and the bushings where slammed packed with grease. I called rough country today and they said they would have some more in a couple days. Thats wonderful and I appreciate them sending me some more but its been less than 4 months! I have heard them tell stories about bad batches of bushings but does anybody know if this is true or just something thats said? I mean I have heard a lot of people say this same thing. Has anybody actually got any that last? Or found a way to make them last? I just dont wanna have to rebuild control arms every 4 months. Its daily driven but only been wheeled 3 times since its been on. any help on this would be great.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

I cant speak for longevity but i have had my RC Long Arm kit on for about 3 months and put maybe 400 miles on it so far and havent had a single complaint. I will keep the post updated as im DDing it now.

Will
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM

I know the bushings going bad are an extremely common problem. I have about 2500 miles on my lift. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever cone up with a solution

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by neeland
I know the bushings going bad are an extremely common problem. I have about 2500 miles on my lift. I'm just wondering if anybody has ever cone up with a solution

This does not inspire confidence lol. Maybe i should change out to Poly Performance.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Mine went bad after about 40 miles i think. Just ordered some currie johnny joints that fit. Don't have any play in them yet.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Yeah mne went bad after 500 miles and I have a new set waiting to go in.
Its not right, Read this thread from the guys at naxja, they feel your pain as well and has good info about the currie joints.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...1062551&page=4

Im probably gonna order the currie joints as well, there 40$ each so im gonna start with the lowers. RC should really have a fix to this.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Just got off the phone with rough country again. Shipment of bushings should be in tomorrow an according to the naxja link u posted it's supposed to be the fix. I sure hope so cuz listening to how many times those guys have changed out bushings there's no way I'm doing that.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I had an experience with the bushings once.. just to throw this out there.. i had the jonny joints in my lca's and i wore out about 3 sets of them finally come to realize and u might think im crazy but i had a loose upper control arm.. and my track bar was bent all outta wack.. got a now adjustable track bar. and tightened up my upper control arm. put a 4th set of bushings in never had another problem.. this might not be in ur case.. but it def caused mine to wear out.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM

About forty miles here and one trip and the front is shot.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM

Year: 2001

When you buy a cheap *** lift... you get cheap *** results... you cannot get quality on the CHEAP!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by coueshunter
When you buy a cheap *** lift... you get cheap *** results... you cannot get quality on the CHEAP!!
Aww this is always a constructive an well thought out response. Even if I break down an pay 200 bucks to replace them with currie joints I'm still coming out ahead of a more expensive lift. But by all means let's keep that mentality going. There isn't near enough of it around here

Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM

New bushings an joints are ready to ship today. If your having problems which in sure u are these are supposed to be the solution this time. They completely redesigned the lock rings an joint an changed the compound on the bushing. Don't know if it will work but here's to saving 200 bucks buying currie joints

Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by neeland
New bushings an joints are ready to ship today. If your having problems which in sure u are these are supposed to be the solution this time. They completely redesigned the lock rings an joint an changed the compound on the bushing. Don't know if it will work but here's to saving 200 bucks buying currie joints

they wont even replace my bushings if i pay because im not the original purchaser, they told me i'd have to buy their x-flex arms cuz thats all they got...i got the jeep with the 5th set of bushings in their arms and they have all gone out. the lift is awesome minus the bushings. 4.5 RC lift.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Metlic53

they wont even replace my bushings if i pay because im not the original purchaser, they told me i'd have to buy their x-flex arms cuz thats all they got...i got the jeep with the 5th set of bushings in their arms and they have all gone out. the lift is awesome minus the bushings. 4.5 RC lift.
What? Even if you pay for the bushing set they won't replace them? Considering that it's the 5th set of bushings u mine as well go on a limb and get the currie joints, I'm putting my second set it as soon as I get some time.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 AM

We had the same problems with our 3 XJ's. The sleeve that the bolt slides through seperated from the bushing. We got replacement arms and it happened again. Called RC again and found out they redesigned the bushings to a clevite bushing. Got replacements for them and all 3 have been good so far and it's been months they've been installed. These are on fixed arms with no flex joint on them btw. Good luck on your fix.

Name:  DSC08165.jpg
Views: 3825
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  DSC08161.jpg
Views: 3516
Size:  38.5 KB

I also noticed a slight difference in the bent they put in them.

Name:  DSC08163.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  35.9 KB

Last edited by Lyon; 07-23-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added pics

Quick Reply: rough country bushings