Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country 4.5" lift = WAY TOO ROUGH. Best shock options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rough Country 4.5" lift = WAY TOO ROUGH. Best shock options?

Had this RC 4.5 kit on my 99 XJ for about 3 months now and the ride is just way too harsh. I thought once it settled in it might soften up, but no. Every bump feels like a huge pothole and a sledgehammer slamming the underside. And the actual potholes... well I cringe and hope my spine doesnt shatter...

I think the ride quality was actually less harsh on my old worn out shocks before doing this kit. Nearly everything has been replaced in the suspension at this point as well as the lift kit, so I'm certain this has to be the rough country shocks. I know its a Jeep, and I wasnt expecting luxurious ride quality with a 4.5" lift, but its just a terrible ride right now and I have been told by alot of people to get a better set of shocks. Would a set of Bilstein shocks be the best option for a softer on road ride? Does anyone know the Bilstein part number as well for the proper shocks for the front and rear with a 4.5" lift if I do go with the Bilsteins?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Yes bilstein is the best for on the road. Before you upgrade what's your shackle angle like?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Need some more info. I assume you're running short arms, correct? Do you have CA drop brackets? Also as stated before what does your shackle angle look like? Bilsteins will give you a better control and ride, but as a monotube sport shock they ride a little stiff. Odds are you don't have drop brackets and your shackle angle is vertical. If this is the case, shocks will help ever so slightly. It's still gonna ride like a one horse wagon until you address the CA and shackle angles.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Need some more info. I assume you're running short arms, correct? Do you have CA drop brackets? Also as stated before what does your shackle angle look like? Bilsteins will give you a better control and ride, but as a monotube sport shock they ride a little stiff. Odds are you don't have drop brackets and your shackle angle is vertical. If this is the case, shocks will help ever so slightly. It's still gonna ride like a one horse wagon until you address the CA and shackle angles.
Sorry for the late reply to this, wasnt able to login lately.

I did the RC 4.5" kit that came with the extended front lower control arms, the ones that are sort of "bent" in the middle. I do not have the drop bracket kit on the front control arms.

The rear shackles are the stock shackles with the RC 4.5" lift kit full leaf kit bolted to them. I am not sure what you meant by the shackle angle (still learninig alot about these XJs) but if you were to say, look in from the side underneath, the shackles are not facing straight down as they would when you first slide the bolt in but let them hang loose. They are angled forward on both sides into the rear mount of the leaf springs. So if you were to look at it like a clock from the side, if you were facing the drivers side that shackle would be angled pointing about 8 oclock. Not 6 oclock or straight down as I guess you meant by vertical. I hope that makes sense. Let me know what my options are to give me a more comfortable ride as this will be used much more on the road than off. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dyno89
Sorry for the late reply to this, wasnt able to login lately.

I did the RC 4.5" kit that came with the extended front lower control arms, the ones that are sort of "bent" in the middle. I do not have the drop bracket kit on the front control arms.

The rear shackles are the stock shackles with the RC 4.5" lift kit full leaf kit bolted to them. I am not sure what you meant by the shackle angle (still learninig alot about these XJs) but if you were to say, look in from the side underneath, the shackles are not facing straight down as they would when you first slide the bolt in but let them hang loose. They are angled forward on both sides into the rear mount of the leaf springs. So if you were to look at it like a clock from the side, if you were facing the drivers side that shackle would be angled pointing about 8 oclock. Not 6 oclock or straight down as I guess you meant by vertical. I hope that makes sense. Let me know what my options are to give me a more comfortable ride as this will be used much more on the road than off. Thanks!

Hey at least you got back. Your shackles are angled in the wrong direction due to the rear leafs being too short. RC has had a history of causing this problem. Ideally when you're looking at the driver side shackle the lower mount (spring mount) part should be pointed more towards the 4 or 5 o'clock position. Only way to remedy this is to add shackle relocators. On the front once you go to 4.5" you really need control arm drop brackets to decrease the angle of your control arms. Do a quick search on shackle relocation brackets and control arm drop brackets and it will make sense to you.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey at least you got back. Your shackles are angled in the wrong direction due to the rear leafs being too short. RC has had a history of causing this problem. Ideally when you're looking at the driver side shackle the lower mount (spring mount) part should be pointed more towards the 4 or 5 o'clock position. Only way to remedy this is to add shackle relocators. On the front once you go to 4.5" you really need control arm drop brackets to decrease the angle of your control arms. Do a quick search on shackle relocation brackets and control arm drop brackets and it will make sense to you.

At 4 1/2" its best to go with a long arm setup. The drop brackets loose you clearance and hang up on logs and rocks.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
At 4 1/2" its best to go with a long arm setup. The drop brackets loose you clearance and hang up on logs and rocks.
True, long arms would be best. I was just trying to give an idea of how to work with what he has.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

True, long arms would be best. I was just trying to give an idea of how to work with what he has.
First step is to figure out how much lift he has. My 4.5" RC lift was giving 6" actual. 6" on short arms is going to suck no matter what shocks are used.

Measure the actual lift height.

I cut a coil off the front springs to reduce the lift ~1" and installed CADs which helped a lot. I haven't gotten my CADs stuck on anything yet which doesn't mean you won't. It probably depends a lot on where and how you drive.

I'm not sure he can use CADs with the fixed length RC LCAs though.

I fixed the rear shackle angle by installing HD Offroad no-lift shackle relocators and longer shackles.

His problems seem to be typical for the RC 4.5" lift so there is lots of discussion about how to fix it to be searched.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Those standard white body shocks most lift companies give away suck bad.Once you get a better shock on it things should ride a little better for you.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Why you think its called Rough Country.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Either you installed something wrong or as it was stated maybe there is a default in the springs, but if it can be of any help I'm also running this lift (same control arms, full springs in the rear and shackles from RC, with the shocks that came with the kit) and I've had no issues other than a leaf spring bushing that became loose. I already had the springs from a 3" RC kit and then added the single leaf from the 4.5" AAL package, so the springs are already settling since ~may 2013.

I try to avoid pot holes the best I can, but if I get one it's very far from what you're describing, yes it's stiffer than stock, but never have I cringed while anticipating a bump.

Last edited by Cane; 01-06-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

need better shackle angle. shocks aren't going to do much for ya if the leafs are too stiff and bad shackle angle
Old 01-07-2016, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It's still gonna ride like a one horse wagon until you address the CA and shackle angles.
This^

Control arm drop brackets and shackle relocation brackets are gunna be your answer
Old 01-07-2016, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Why you think its called Rough Country.

I think you made a POINT

You need to relocate the shackles their leafs are know for a length problem and that may help the most. At 4 1/2" of lift a lot of things come into play.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 PM

My 16' GC SRT rides 10x smoother and softer than my 4" lifted XJ even with bilstein 5100. Go figure. I love my lifted XJ but it hurts to drive it.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 4.5" lift = WAY TOO ROUGH. Best shock options?