Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod knock or bad lifter

Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip
Default Rod knock or bad lifter

so my motor has slowly developed a rod knock (i think) and it is strange, some times it shows up under normal driving condition and the car feels like it is gonna die, kinda like it is trying to run on 4 cylinders, then i turn the motor off for about 10 min, and it some times goes away. sometimes the power will return, and the knock will be less and fade away, sometimes if will just disappear. any ideas, how do i check if it is a lifter or rod. can i save my motor? i will get a video up later after i get home from work.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

here is a video of it

it is only in the begining of the video, then it goes away. it looks like all my lifters are good and feeding oil, no dry rockers. but the knock comes and goes when it pleases, sometimes feels like a loss of power, like a miss and sometimes not. now here is what i discovered as i leaned on the fan shroud. it was making the exact noise of a rod knock!

otherwise the rest of the engine seems to be fine for now. could a failing rod bearing come and go, or do you think it is just lack or oil from maybe a clogged oil system?