Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rims and tires

Anyone have suggestions on rims and tires? I'm planning to get 33" or 35" tires, definitely all terrain. What do you guys have on your XJ's and what would you reccomend?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I would go with a 16" RIM. There are many more tires to choose from and gives plenty of clearance should you want to throw disk brakes on the back. Make sure you get one with adequate backspacing.

I have ran about 15 different tires and my favorites, in almost everything are the Goodyear Duratracs. 70,000 out of a set, extremely quiet, great offroad and great road manners. Inbetween a MT and an AT. Best tire Ive had in snow/ice. That being said, I would only ever buy then in 315x75x16 (35") as they are the only size with decent sidewalls.

There are about 1000 threads about tires though and everyone has an opinion Worst tire I ever ran... SS Thornbirds. Avoid them like the plague.

Most people run steel wheels for wheeling. They are cheap and easy to fix if you'll manage to break them. Beadlocks are the best if you want to spend the cash/they are legal in your state. I personally have ran a set of Procomp alloy rims for along time and have had no issues. Alloys are lighter, just make sure your tire is wide enough to protect them.

Defiantly go with 35s. You'll be kicking yourself later if you dont!

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-02-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I would go with a 16" RIM. There are many more tires to choose from and gives plenty of clearance should you want to throw disk brakes on the back. Make sure you get one with adequate backspacing. I have ran about 15 different tires and my favorites, in almost everything are the Goodyear Duratracs. 70,000 out of a set, extremely quiet, great offroad and great road manners. Inbetween a MT and an AT. Best tire Ive had in snow/ice. That being said, I would only ever buy then in 315x75x16 (35") as they are the only size with decent sidewalls. There are about 1000 threads about tires though and everyone has an opinion Worst tire I ever ran... SS Thornbirds. Avoid them like the plague. Most people run steel wheels for wheeling. They are cheap and easy to fix if you'll manage to break them. Beadlocks are the best if you want to spend the cash/they are legal in your state. I personally have ran a set of Procomp alloy rims for along time and have had no issues. Alloys are lighter, just make sure your tire is wide enough to protect them. Defiantly go with 35s. You'll be kicking yourself later if you dont!
Would I be able to run those with no lift, or would you reccommend getting the lift first?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_Luck_XJ
Would I be able to run those with no lift, or would you reccommend getting the lift first?
you're going to need a 4.5" lift and a lotttt of fender trimming for 35s
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Bad_Luck_XJ
Woahhh lets backup. You have a lot of research to do if you're asking this question. There is a lot of modifications necessary and many many more that are recommended to run 35 inch tires
Old 03-02-2015, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
you're going to need a 4.5" lift and a lotttt of fender trimming for 35s

Welcome to the forum!

Along with the correct BS on the wheel and the cost that goes along with a 4 1/2" lift the cost of the kit is the small side of it.

I personally run 15" wheels on my XJ a 15x8" and have 2 sets of 5 regular steel wheels Cragar Soft Eights for my 33's and a set of beadlocks for my 35's.

It is much cheaper to go with the 33" tires and a 3" lift you will still need to trim all your fenders but its a lot cheaper than going with a 4 1/2" lift to begin with and 15" tires also JMHO. There are several lists here that will tell you what you will need with what size lift your wanting.