Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renix guys, anyone running a CS144 alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Renix guys, anyone running a CS144 alternator?

Electrical system talk? 5-90 is your see this please help me brother.
I have an 1990 cherokee. 4.0, aw4. I have already upgraded from the normal 75Amp alternator to a 100Amp factory replacement from auotzone. Its doing just fine..for now. I just installed a BIG inverter for camping trips, run 1 pair of 100W lights on my bumper, but plan to add 5 more lights on my roof rack.probably 35-55W each.
I also got a winch for Xmas that still needs to be hooked up and I know its going to strain my charging system. I have a brand new sears battery..alot of great reviews, great price and a AMAZING warranty! I run 5-90's, AKA kellywip grounding kit with a 150A anl fuse. Everythinsg upgraded, just need a little more juice from my alternator now.

So now I'm looking to upgrade my alternator, no I don't want to rewind my case! I don't want that because the CS144 is bigger and throws 140A!
I've read the Cs144 is useable, and its a 140AMP with a bigger/better case. Anyone use this? Whats required to run it? Any info/pics is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

i know nothing about this upgrade but I am interested in it thalso this sounds like a really god idea...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Maybe look into getting a 136A GC alt? Writeup below:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/zj...nix-xj-109847/
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered Users

Well I know a little..I know its setup the same..I believe they call it 1 wire. As our alternators. So only thing to modify is a way to mount it.
I've seen 3 times now people say they've enlarged one of the mounting holes and that was it and all else was good. But then I see alot of other people saying they need to fab up some brackets and such!

My alternator is only 2 months old as is, but 140A sure will be nice when winching. And out autozone is pretty good with return customers. They said if I brought them my new one then I could pay the difference for the new one which was like 28 bucks. So for 28 bucks I'll still have a new alternator thats 140A..Also benefiting from the bigger, stronger case which leaves room for improvement later. Anywho I will relocate my alternator soon enough to the A/c position to get it up a little higher and out of water since I have a camping/expitdition style rig. So if fab work is involved to get it mounted, I'll wait and do it then vs doing it twice.

I also intend to find a smaller pulley thats compatible with the Cs144, this will give me a greater amperage closer to idle which is what you want when your idling along trails, or just letting the jeep idle at camp to recharge your battery.
Dual batteries would be best for me and will happen eventually. I like to have lights on to light up the camping area, or have a mini fridge with me or leave my radio playing while camping.. but I'll need a stronger alternator either way if I plan to charge 2 batteries which is the reason for the thread!
I've had winches before and drove the jeep in the direction I was winching which solved the low amperage at idle but when your winching someone else out I was forced to hold to revs higher. I want to solve this issue by installing a smaller pulley..if I find nothing that will work, then I'll install a high idle switch and be done with it. Perfer to get the smaller pulley though!

Man that post got long quick.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by sam24th
Maybe look into getting a 136A GC alt? Writeup below:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/zj...nix-xj-109847/

I've seen it done on a renix rig before..1 time! Someone in a red 2 door Xj did it, can't remember the name atm though. Us renix guys and you HO guys are setup different..our alternators are internally regulated while yours are externally regulated I believe! 1 person set there renix up to run the GC alt..but tooo much work. The GC is pretty much bolt on for HO guys, just minor grinding to make everything fit. Fabing a simple bracket would be much easier and the Cs144 is 140A the GC alt is 136A so we'll have you HO beat.
Haha just messing around.
The Cs144 is plug and play from my understanding. Just the mounting may be different or needed to fab a bracket to make it work. This is what I need to know! We have the 1 power cable and the 1 plug on our alternators. I know we need to buy some little adapter from Kragen to make the plug work and of course the power wise bolts right on.
When and if 5-90 sees this I know he'll set me straight with the right info.

I've thought about getting my case rewound as its only 2 months old as it but I'd rather start with a bigger alternator first, then get it rewound if needed. My thinking is similar to no replacement for displacment lol..starting with a bigger/more efficient case would be the better route.
Cases can be rewound for like 1 per Amp. So a good alt can be rewound to 140A's for roughly 140 bucks give or take.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered Users

Heres picture to see the phyiscal difference of the cases! The Cs144 is noticeably bigger. And you can see clearly, 1 bolt for the power and in the lower right side/bottom right is where the little clip plugs in.
From everything I read says we can buy some adapter or something for 6-7 bucks from Kragen or any store alike. Thus making it plug and play..we just need to figure out the mounting now lol..
Also the Cs144 is more pleasing and updated looking, and I'm assuming the other 2 empty holes on the back are for grounding wires? 5-90 another question for you lol.
Are the 2 holes on the back of the Cs144 for grounding wires? If so can we saftely pick up the extra grounding hole, say alternator to chassis maybe, or run a extra alternator to battery ground?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Here is a wiring diagram I found for the alt. Wiring for the CS130 is the same as CS144 so the diagram below show be fine. Based on the diagram it seems as though the alt should work aslong as you make the bracket fit. Im interested in the mod aswell as I have a renix and can use a higher output alt.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Registered Users

As stated you can get your Cs130 rewound for about a buck per AMP. But again your still rocking a older, uglier, smaller case. It will heat up quicker since its pushing higher AMP's and being smaller. The bigger Cs144 will dissipate heat quicker I would think?
I think fabbing a bracket is the only option after more research. If you look at t'm trying to get better pics of the Cs144 currently...I'm looking for how far off the mounting wholes are.
I may just hit up autozone tomorrow and have them show me both alternators and physically measure them first hand. So I can maybe get a more accurate answer.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Registered Users

Found what I was looking for. Mounting wholes are exactly the same!
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112540
But note: I said earlier a few guys said they've used the Cs144 by enlarging 1 hole. It appears to be the top mounting hole as it is much smaller.
I truely believe this is a bolt on mod and will by trying this within the next week!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 l

I got my 140 amp alternator from this place. Great service and helped me out with all my questions.
He recomended a cs 144 alternator.

www.alternatorparts.com

Was told about this place from someone on this web site.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 01-02-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1997, 1990

Any ending to this mod?