Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing a leaf from RE 3.5"s

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Removing a leaf from RE 3.5"s

Hey guys. Looks like I will be working on the Jeep this weekend. My main goal is to install some 4° shims and change the shackle angle. While I am down there, I want to remove a leaf as well. Not only does the Jeep ride bad but the rear sits about 1" higher then the front. I have been going back and forth on what end to adjust and it came down to the rear. So, I am looking to drop it around 1". I have been told that the correct spring to remove is the one at the bottom. Has anyone else removed a leaf from the RE 3.5" leafs and if so which one was it and how much did it drop? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I had the exact same problem with way too much lift in the rear although I'm on IRO springs not RE. As I recall I removed the second leaf from the bottom of the stack on mine but to be honest I think you can experiment to see what the effect is you won't hurt anything. I got the results I was looking for as it dropped my rear about an inch. My springs have settled somewhat over the last year they have been on the Jeep so I am now pretty much level.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

What I thought about doin was remove the third leaf down from the top that would lower and might make a softer ride. But I'm not haulin anything and don't do jumps like the Duke boys. If you experiment, please post the results.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks guys. I will try pulling the 2nd one from the bottom and see what it does. I am hoping to not do this twice so lets hope it works!

Typerr - Was there a noticeable ride difference after pulling the leaf?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 5-Speed

Typerr - Was there a noticeable ride difference after pulling the leaf?
Can't really say. I never really drove the Jeep on the full leaf pack it was so high in back I immediately pulled the springs back off and took them apart.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Well guys, I took a leaf out. I did the 2nd one up from the bottom. What a difference in ride quality! It did drop the rear a little but I am waiting to put some more miles on it before seeing exactly how far down it dropped. I am going to guess around 3/4" but things need to finish settling. I also got the shims put it. No more vibes! I dont see why SYE kits dont come with shims. They are well needed!