Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable half door wiring plug (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Removable half door wiring plug (need advice)

So I'm about to do some removable half doors on the front of my xj....but here's the catch... I have power windows and locks and I'd like to stay that way. So my dilemma is this. I have 16 wires on the driver door and I think 6 on my passenger. What I want to do is make some quick disconnects for my wiring for both my stock doors and my half ones as to retain control of my rear windows. I don't want a massive bundle of male/female banana plugs and such what I was thinking was using cat5 cable and jacks or VGA plugs and jacks.....but here's the thing, cat 5 is tiny and convenient but its also only 24 gauge wire. Will 24 gauge hold up the the power windows and locks electrical demands? And I only need the VGA for the drive door because of the massive amount of wires, what should I do for the passenger door?
Just something I needed help with if you guys have any inserting or creative ideas or some advice please shoot them my way. Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

No, there are 14 gauge wires in the doors.

What a lot of people do is use these ZJ door plugs.

Removable half door wiring plug (need advice)-image-3508848075.jpg

There are plenty of wires and make a great disconnect.

On the rears I used a 4 pin trailer plug. I thought about doing that up front if I couldn't find the ZJ plugs.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

any type of male/female plug assembly will work so long as you have the same wires spliced together on the correct side. I've used 4 wire trailer plugs from VatoZone... cheap, easy to connect/disconnect pretty weather proof.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM

I don't quite understand what 94xj's picture is about. I have a 96 zj a couple months ago and never saw that kind of plug in my door jam, if you could explaine further that would be great. It might turn out to be a great idea. And your right trailer harnesses might work fantastically but ill need 4 of them and that will get a little bulky.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM

Ok so I look more into 94xj's idea and found a thread on cf all about it...... That's ****ing genius I'm absolutely going with that idea thanks a bunch guys! And if I do removable doors on the rear ill just use trailer plugs and make life easy haha thanks guys!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hypedonmonster
Ok so I look more into 94xj's idea and found a thread on cf all about it...... That's ****ing genius I'm absolutely going with that idea thanks a bunch guys! And if I do removable doors on the rear ill just use trailer plugs and make life easy haha thanks guys!
Some JY's will sell them, my local one wanted me to pay for the whole door... No... Got These shipped for 30 from a buddy in another town
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hypedonmonster
I don't quite understand what 94xj's picture is about. I have a 96 zj a couple months ago and never saw that kind of plug in my door jam, if you could explaine further that would be great. It might turn out to be a great idea. And your right trailer harnesses might work fantastically but ill need 4 of them and that will get a little bulky.
I don't think 4 would be too bad if you stagger them... And my plugs are from a ZJ with the infinity sound system. The normal ZJ's have plugs, but they don't have as many wires or the same assembly iirc.