Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote starter Installation

Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default Remote starter Installation

I've been all over eBay looking at Remote Starters. I've found a bunch that I like on the CHEAP side. I'm gonna tackle the installation myself.

Does anyone have a module that they have used in the pass or using at the moment that you can recommend?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM

I did car audio and electronics installs for a few years and by far the best alarms and remote starters I've used (support, installation, and general features/quality) have been DEI products. That includes Viper, Python, Clifford, Hornet, and a couple of others. Not quite as cheap but they work well and are nice units.

That being said, the quality of the installation makes a huge difference in how the product works and how effective it is. Take your time and do some research. I did a write up on installing a full setup in a MKIV VW GTI over on another forum that I can link you to if you'd be interested. Obviously a bit different but the prep techniques are the same for how you should get things ready before they go in the car.

Just my .02
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Def send me that link when you have extra time. I'm a audio video tech so I can say that I know my way around electronics and I've installed my share of car stereos. But when it comes to car alarms and starters, thats where I'll fall short.

So do you know if almost any module will work on any vehicle? My Jeep has a door key fob... will that get in the way of my installation? If I pay under $70 bucks for a remote kit on eBay, am I in for disaster? I like to do things myself to save money, is this something I should leave to the pro's?

Thanks for your advise, Trumpser!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

I have a Clifford 50.7x installed in a 98 XJ and it works great. Provides a good alarm and remote start with long range two way remote.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Trumpster
I did car audio and electronics installs for a few years and by far the best alarms and remote starters I've used (support, installation, and general features/quality) have been DEI products. That includes Viper, Python, Clifford, Hornet, and a couple of others. Not quite as cheap but they work well and are nice units.

That being said, the quality of the installation makes a huge difference in how the product works and how effective it is. Take your time and do some research. I did a write up on installing a full setup in a MKIV VW GTI over on another forum that I can link you to if you'd be interested. Obviously a bit different but the prep techniques are the same for how you should get things ready before they go in the car.

Just my .02

agreed, stick with dei. dont waste your time/money with 2nd rate stuff
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Here's my alarm DIY

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=alarm+diy

Pretty complete. I tried to be as thorough as possible. There is a lot of interior dis-assembly instructions in there but all of the wire splicing techniques and alarm prep is universal.

I'll be doing an alarm/remote start system in my XJ soon so I can do the same thing for it if you guys think it would be valuable.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Hey Trumpster, Thanks for the well informed installation link. Your pictures, instructions and tips are great. The Red Mouse can suck it, dude. I'm not gonna waste my time with poo poo cheap products. I'm pricing out DEI alarms and Clifford. Lemme know when you finish up the Jeeps install.

Thanks for the advise, EVERYONE.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160903766421...84.m1497.l2649

whats y'all input on this module?? I hope the link works.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Looks like it's a bit older of a unit but was likely on the higher end of things when it was new. Not bad for $120. I'd look into one with the "SST" tag on it, it's the only thing I use anymore. Has an advertised 1 mile range and I've been able to get it working to remote start my car over 1/4 mile away reliably.

Also, check out http://www.the12volt.com/ for a tech sheet for your car. Invest in a decent multimeter for the install if you don't have one already. I have a power probe that I use for installs on cars that I know it's safe on but if you're not paying attention and probe an airbag wire you run the risk of detonating one lol.

GL and HF
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM

All right, I just received my remote start from eBay. It's the 2009 PYTHON 533. This will be my first install but I'm very excited. I will take pictures during the install and post my almost every move when I'm done. If y'all have anymore tips or helpful sites that I sound know about before starting this project this weekend then please lemme know. Thanks for all your help everyone.