Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Recent engine upgrades

I purchased a 2000 Jeep XJ with 125000 miles on it last year and quickly installed a AEM cold air intake with no performance improvement . I installed a 63mm bored throttle body about 2 weeks ago and this improved throttle response and a little more torque . Last week I put in new Bosch fuel injectors and this made an improvement in smoothing out the idle as well as making quicker starts , I did notice the old fuel injector 0-rings were cracked and dry . Overall I'm happy with the improvements but wouldn't do the cold air intake because of the cost $240 . The fuel injectors cost $99 and the throttle body was $100 .
Attached Thumbnails Recent engine upgrades-img_0937.jpg   Recent engine upgrades-img_0938.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Who would've thought that a cold air intake in the hot engine bay wouldn't improve engine performance...go figure..lol
Old 06-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by toledojeeper
I purchased a 2000 Jeep XJ with 125000 miles on it last year and quickly installed a AEM cold air intake with no performance improvement . I installed a 63mm bored throttle body about 2 weeks ago and this improved throttle response and a little more torque . Last week I put in new Bosch fuel injectors and this made an improvement in smoothing out the idle as well as making quicker starts , I did notice the old fuel injector 0-rings were cracked and dry . Overall I'm happy with the improvements but wouldn't do the cold air intake because of the cost $240 . The fuel injectors cost $99 and the throttle body was $100 .
I'm glad you posted this. I was about to buy a cold air intake. I have Dodge Neon injectors that I want to install. Next would be 62 mm throttle body, Hood Vents and last will be k&n cold air intake.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

With that many miles you might want to consider upgrading your engine and tranny mounts. Just did mine and all I can say is what a difference.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by peligro113
Who would've thought that a cold air intake in the hot engine bay wouldn't improve engine performance...go figure..lol

I had a 2001 Jeep Wrangler and the AEM cold air intake seem to add some pep and torque. I was hoping for the same with the XJ , but the engine bay on the TJ was a bit bigger and the intake was on the other side of the engine away from the exhaust .
Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my cold air intake made a noticable difference. Not just seat-of-the-pants, but also audibly. With the oem air box, when you accelerated, you could just hear the thing trying like hell to suck in air. With the intake, it definitely sounds like it's breathing much easier.

And I say that even though my "cold air" intake isn't a cowl intake and, though it's shielded, is still located in the factory location inside the engine bay - which I've heard some folks argue makes it pretty much snake oil.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

That my friends is not a true "Cold Air Intake" in fact it draws in more hot air than the factory air box as anyone can see from a photo. Only thing it does do is make more noise at WOT if you consider that a plus.

My XJ had that same intake on it when I bought it, all I knew was that I wanted it gone. My son had just bought a 98 XJ and he wanted it, I told him it was junk but sometimes he doesn't listen to reason. So I told him that I would sway it to him for his factory setup with a new K&N filter in it for mine. I modded the factory box for better air flow till I installed a cowl intake a true cold air intake.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
That my friends is not a true "Cold Air Intake" in fact it draws in more hot air than the factory air box as anyone can see from a photo. Only thing it does do is make more noise at WOT if you consider that a plus.

My XJ had that same intake on it when I bought it, all I knew was that I wanted it gone. My son had just bought a 98 XJ and he wanted it, I told him it was junk but sometimes he doesn't listen to reason. So I told him that I would sway it to him for his factory setup with a new K&N filter in it for mine. I modded the factory box for better air flow till I installed a cowl intake a true cold air intake.
yup a cowl intake is the way to go
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ

I doubt it takes in more hot air then the stock box since the stock box is located in the same place with no shield , but to each his own . I may just pull it out and put in the stock box for a week and see if there is any change .

Last edited by toledojeeper; 06-24-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peligro113
yup a cowl intake is the way to go

If you think about it the cowl intake goes right through the hottest part of the engine bay so I am sure that air is heating up before it enters the intake manifold as well.

I have never understood why someone didn't design one that pulls air from the fender well where the old box use to be?

To me it seems like a snorkel is the only true CAI.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by jhc7399
If you think about it the cowl intake goes right through the hottest part of the engine bay so I am sure that air is heating up before it enters the intake manifold as well.

I have never understood why someone didn't design one that pulls air from the fender well where the old box use to be?

To me it seems like a snorkel is the only true CAI.
What??? no the cowl is not the hottest part of the engine bay.. and a cowl air intake is nice and cool to the touch when engine is running.
the air going through the cowl is as cold as the outside air temp.

Here is a vid of my engine bay shot with a thermal cam.. you can see the Spectre nice and cool in the vid

Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, didn't say the cowl was the hottest part of the engine bay. I said it goes through the hottest part of the engine bay which would be just under the hood on top of the engine. I guess the vid proves me wrong though....
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by Dumajones
What??? no the cowl is not the hottest part of the engine bay.. and a cowl air intake is nice and cool to the touch when engine is running.
the air going through the cowl is as cold as the outside air temp.

Here is a vid of my engine bay shot with a thermal cam.. you can see the Spectre nice and cool in the vid

Jeep Cherokee Engine Bay shot with Seek thermal cam. - YouTube
cool video Duma
Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by jhc7399
No, didn't say the cowl was the hottest part of the engine bay. I said it goes through the hottest part of the engine bay which would be just under the hood on top of the engine. I guess the vid proves me wrong though....
Oh Im sorry miss understood what you meant. But yeah you can see how a cowl air intake is nice and cool with motor running.

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
cool video Duma
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That "cold air intake" is a hot air piston top sand blaster. Sure it may breathe better than paper, but it will also let dirt in.

Quick Reply: Recent engine upgrades