Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Side Speakers in 2 Doors?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Side Speakers in 2 Doors?

I've been thinking about this for awhile but has anyone ever tried to mount speakers into the side trim panels behind the rear seats of a two door? (Pre 97)
I was looking at it and there's just no sound in the back since I have a base model that has 2 speakers stock and I refuse to mount any in the hatch. So would it be possible to cut the panels behind the rear seats and cupholders and mount speakers in the metal around there such as adding brackets and such?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Have you thought about getting a roof sound bar. You may be able to find one in a local JY.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Well around here there's a lack of Cherokees of any kind.. We call it the urban wasteland hah. But I thought about that but I also kinda want to put hidden speakers in the side trim like I was talking about. And attempt to make a grille for that but I just wanted to know if anyone has done it or if its even possible without making my xj body FUBAR
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Should be due able may have to mount the speakers to the plastic tho
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

I've looked into this myself, and there doesnt seem to be enough room anywhere to mount even a 6" speaker in the side panels. I'd recommend you check the classifieds here and on NAXJA for a stock sound bar. Or maybe even ebay.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
I've looked into this myself, and there doesnt seem to be enough room anywhere to mount even a 6" speaker in the side panels. I'd recommend you check the classifieds here and on NAXJA for a stock sound bar. Or maybe even ebay.
Cant you cut out a hole for the speaker to mont into the metal? If you want I can pick a sound bar outta a XJ like whats in mine and ship it to you.

Rear Side Speakers in 2 Doors?-image-2202019912.jpg
Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Slim357
Cant you cut out a hole for the speaker to mont into the metal? If you want I can pick a sound bar outta a XJ like whats in mine and ship it to you.

Attachment 191798
You can, but between the seat mounts and the rear cupholder panel theres not much room to put it. Or at least a place to put it where it'll look right.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Slim357

Ah if I had the money right now I would ask in a heart beat. All my funds have gone to transmission and clutch troubles right now so I can't at the moment. But thank you for the offer!

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb

You can, but between the seat mounts and the rear cupholder panel theres not much room to put it. Or at least a place to put it where it'll look right.
I was thinking about putting just a 5 1/4 and hissing it behind the plastic with a grille like the doors but I don't see it being possible that way after looking at my trim panels
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xilver XJ
Ah if I had the money right now I would ask in a heart beat. All my funds have gone to transmission and clutch troubles right now so I can't at the moment. But thank you for the offer!

I was thinking about putting just a 5 1/4 and hissing it behind the plastic with a grille like the doors but I don't see it being possible that way after looking at my trim panels
Yeah the only place that the speaker could mount is blocked from behind because of the seat belts. I thought about it for a while but gave up because i couldnt find a place to mount the speakers.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xilver XJ

Any time man when ever your ready let me know I can get it at a good price since i do alot of business with them lol. Hope your get your trans figured out I havent has the money to rebuild my aw4 even tho its in dire need lol
Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

You can fab something in that cubby.

I'm thinking you can use a pair of speaker rings to build them out. I wish I would have thought of that before i got my sound bar. I'm still trying to fab something to stabilize the middle of my sound bar to keep it from bouncing.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Malik3404
You can fab something in that cubby.

I'm thinking you can use a pair of speaker rings to build them out. I wish I would have thought of that before i got my sound bar. I'm still trying to fab something to stabilize the middle of my sound bar to keep it from bouncing.
Go get the lil screw things the hold the front dome light in place and drill two holes in the rear roof bow and but a dome light on it. Thatll stiffen it up once you get the two post/screw thing tightened down
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM

So instead of starting a new thread I just have a question. Does anyone know of great places to hide speakers at least in my jeep? The two 12's I had in the back got stolen..And they even broke the button off my e-brake so I have to pull that apart just to put it down again!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

I took the panels out of my 90 two door (actually the only type of trim/interior left is the dash and front seats). I think there is plenty of room to put speakers there. look for yourself, just pull things apart.