Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear lunchbox locker

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear lunchbox locker

Hey guys, so I have a lunchbox locker for my rear 44 and I was curious if anyone is running one in their rear axle? How is it? How long have you had it and has there been any problems? Any and all info is greatly accepted. I am wondering because I have this Aussie lunchbox locker that just needs a new spring kit because it was lost in a move and I am unable to find it.

What I am really wanting to know is should I keep it or possibly get rid of it and save up for a new locker when I regear both axles..
Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

I've had a Spartan lunchbox in my C8.25 for two years now. Works well, As with any full-time locker, you'll have a bit of understeer on long uphill curves.

I haven't noticed too much in the way of excessive tire wear. It is loud at times. Even with "Dragon Snot" heavy weight gear oil in there it still makes a racket when ratcheting during tight turns. People always look at me like my XJ is falling apart. One coworker said it sounds like the noise a roller coaster makes when it's being pulled up the first big ramp. Pretty accurate description. In normal driving you don't really hear it at all.

I like mine, but if I had it to do all over again, I think I'd save up and get a Detroit Trutrac limited slip. Others may say to get a selectable, but my preference is for it to just kick in automatically when needed. But I'm not doing hard-core rock crawling, just trail running, and mine spends 95% of it's time on pavement as my DD. If you're going to go boulder bowling, get a selectable or the lunchbox will get you by.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I have an Aussie in my 8.25 (29 spline) and it works just as advertised. It has been in my trail only XJ for about 2 years. No complaints even though it is pretty loud from time to time. The above description of the roller coaster sound is the most accurate way to describe it when coasting around a corner. I use the 85-140 gear oil and it seems to work well.
Just throw it in and see what you think. No reason to spend a ton on a selectable yet when you have that one sitting around.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Yea that's what I was thinking about doing, I just wanted to get some opinions about it on the road. I don't usually drive mine around town, but there are times that I would rather drive my Jeep instead of my truck.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM

I ran Aussies from and rear on my '95 YJ. Stick, fourbanger. On the trails I could not have been happier..worked great. On the road, in town, another story. Not good at all. And when towing( AZ to Cabo) had to disconnect front driveshaft. If I were to do it again I would put a selectable in the rear.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I hear they are quite a bit rougher with a manual transmission.
For the brief period that mine was driven on the road, it was pretty easy to adapt my driving style. You just need to coast as much as possible around turns.
I just installed a Lokka in the front, can't wait to see how they work together.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I have a used spartan in my 44 and I love it. I DD it but do some moderate crawling and hit helps a lot in the rocks. I don't get loud ratcheting when turning tight corners, but often it will pop as it disengages in parking lots. The pop is accompanied by kind of a jolt and people always look at me like my Jeep is falling apart.

I'd say definitely go for it. I love the automatic in the rear despite its drawbacks.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Anybody run the PowerTrax 'No-Slip'? It's supposed to have much better behaviour than the 'Lock Right' with the same traction capabilities. I'm considering this option for my 8.25/29 but concerned if it works as advertised without giving up strength or longevity.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

djb383 has had one for quite a few yrs now. If he doesn't reply send him a PM.