Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Leaf Spring Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Leaf Spring Bolts

I am getting ready to install a 3.5 RE lift. I have the stock trailer hitch, and the rear leaf spring bolts were installed prior to the hitch, with the bolt heads between the hitch and shackle. I have read here that it is easier to cut the bolts off rather than remove the hitch, and then install new ones the other way. Any opinions on that? Or is it easier to remove the shackle bolt, and swap the shackle onto the leaf prior to installing it?
If I do have to cut the bolt, what is the best method? Die grinder with cutoff wheel, Sawzall, or torch?
I actually did a search on the subject, but couldn't find much. Found lots of opinions on the lift.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Just cut the shackle bolt off on both sides, be careful though because if there is any weight or tension on that thing you can really hurt yourself. As for the front one... good luck, haha. Hopefully with a big enough bar you can break that thing loose. If not, you can try to cut that one as well, but its far more of a headache because the nut/threads are inside the frame rail.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM

Yeah those are never fun, before you go busting out the biggest bar you can find, liberally lube and heat and hit the front one cause if the nut weld breaks you're gonna be goin through the floor boards and putting a 21 mm wrench on it. Just take those slow and they usually come free
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

the fronts like to sieze inside the leaf spring bushing. If you gotta cut it, make sure you back it all the way out of the nut first, otherwise, like has been said, you'll be cutting through your floorboard.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

I am in southern California, and the jeep is pretty clean, with 130k miles. The bolts all look good so far, and I am soaking them with PB. I don't anticipate any problems, but I was wondering about the back end. Should I just try to take the shackle bolt out and swap the shackle to the leaf spring with it out, or should I cut the rear leaf bolt? Or pull the factory tow hitch and take the bolt out? I don't think I will cut the shackle bolt unless I can't get it out, but if it is a pain, then maybe I should cut the leaf bolt and leave the shackle in place?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

a trick i have learned is to stick your jack under the handle of a breaker bar. worked alright for me many times.